Tasters Quasi Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee_Lynn

Reaction score
Tasters Quasi Bock

Full bodied. Tastes of caramel, chocolate, slightly tart. Slight citrus, flower notes. Not very bitter. Nice cream colored head.

O.G. 1.050 (Brewhouse efficiency 93 %)
F.G. 1.019 (Attenuation 73 %)
ABV 4 %
SRM 17
IBU ~ 6

0.44 gal (56 oz.) recipe (to make 4 x 12 oz. bottles)

Black - Dark Debittered 4 g (SRM 550)
Crystal 40 50 g (SRM 40)
Dry Malt Extract - Pale 70 g (SRM 6)
Munich Light Malt 70 g (SRM 6)
White Wheat Malt 70 g (SRM 3)
Molasses 12 g (SRM 80)
Honey - Dark 12 g (SRM 40)
Cascade Hops 2 g boiled 3 min. in bag (IBU ~ 4 ; %AA 6.9)
Hallertau Hops 2 g boiled same 3 min. in same bag (IBU ~ 2 ; %AA 2.7)
US-05 Yeast 1 g

Rehydrate 1 g of yeast in 10-15 mL luke-warm water (75-80 F) for about 1 hour while you do the other stuff below. Some say this is not necessary just pitch it dry.

Mash grains loose in 700 mL water for 30 min @ 155-160 F. I use a 1 liter plastic thermos that fits in my microwave.

Sparge grains 3 times with 300 mL of ~100 F (warm) water. Strain thru nylon bag (I use part of a panty hose over mouth of thermos) when collecting wort from the sparge. Squeeze out all liquid from the nylon bag on last sparge.

Dilute wort to 0.44 gal. (1700 mL).

Add Dry Malt Extract, Molasses and Dark Honey to wort while bringing to a boil.

Add hops in a small hops bog to wort and boil for 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and cool. Leave hops in hops bag in wort for 20 minutes while cooling to 75 F or lower. I put my kettle in sink with cold water (60-65 F well water) and change water 2 times. You can also use ice in water if not cold enough.

Transfer wort, including trub, to fermenter and dilute to 1700 mL. I use a 2 liter plastic soda bottle with cap.

Aerate wort. Since I use a plastic soda bottle I aerate 5 times by squeezing out the air, pulling in new air and shaking 5-10 times.

Add yeast and attach air lock to fermenter. I use a standard s-shaped air lock. I drill a hole in the soda bottle cap that the air lock's stem can be forced thru. I then seal the lock with plumber's putty.

Ferment for at least 5 days @ 67-70 F in a water bath. I use a Gott cooler and add hot water or ice as needed.

Bottle and carbonate.

When I bottle, for carbonation, I add 5 g of molasses to each 12 oz PLASTIC soda bottle that I use for my bottled beer. This produces carbonation levels similar to store bought carbonated beverages. I do not know if that is too much pressure for a glass beer bottle.

Tasters Quasi Bock

In context of this thread a "Taster" is a person who is more sensitive to bitter tastes than the normal population. The TAS2R38 gene seems to control this trait. Approximately 25 % of the population have 2 dominant alleles (versions of the gene) for tasting bitter and are more sensitive to bitter tastes (TT), 50 % have only 1 dominant allele (Tt), and 25 % have no dominant allele (tt) and are the least sensitive to bitter tastes. I am very sensitive to bitter and started brewing beer so that I could control the bitterness of the beer. I think I am a Taster.

"Quasi" is a term used to describe something similar to another thing. Hence, this "Tasters Quasi Bock" is something similar to a bock but is not a bock. I do not use lager yeast and this a low IBU beer.

You will also note that this is a very small recipe (only 0.44 gal). I make such small amounts so that I can brew quicker and experiment more without wasting a lot of beer (and money). Also, it is the largest amount I can easily brew using a 1 liter thermos and a microwave to do partial mashing.

I partial mash so that I can mash at higher temperatures to increase unfermentable sugars to balance what bitterness there is in the beer. We tasters are very sensitive to bitter.

Anyway, if you are not a "taster" you MAY find this beer is way too sweet for you. In that case you will only have wasted 0.44 gallons of beer if you make this recipe. I have friends that say it is sickening sweet and not bitter at all. I also have found some that thought it was really good and a little bitter but not too bitter; those happen to be people who think, like myself, that most if not all commercial beer is too bitter for their tastes. They don't usually drink beer because of that.

You will find that my IBU estimate is more than what most software will give for such a small boil time. I have added 1/2 the time that it takes to cool to 120 F (~ 5-6 min.) into the boil time for IBU calculation purposes. That's just a crude estimate on my part, but there probably is some IBU contribution as it cools down that would normally be insignificant with higher IBU beers with much longer boil times.

Thanks for reading this long post.

Latest posts

Back