Juice experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trig

Reaction score
Having one mediocre beer under my belt and a batch of mead still bubbling I thought I'd do an experimental run and see what happens. I had a couple (1/2 gallon) growlers which I'd used before for starters so I got a few more and some airlocks.

The lineup before the pitch. (Except the ciders on the left which were already pitched)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

From left to right :

Mulled Cider w/ two cups of 1:1 (one cup granulated sugar to one cup water) sucrose water solution. O.G. 1.08

Mulled Cider O.G. 1.04

Kirkland (Costco) brand cranberry raspberry juice. w/ two cups of 2:1 (two cup granulated sugar to one cup water) sucrose water solution. O.G. 1.092

Old Orchard brand Pomegranate Cranberry w/ two cups of 2:1 sucrose solution O.G. 1.104

Old Orchard brand Pomegranate Blueberry w/ two cups of 2:1 sucrose solution O.G. 1.1

Simply Apple w/ two cups of 2:1 sucrose solution O.G. 1.095

Dole Orange Peach Mango w/ ~three cups of 2:1 sucrose solution O.G. 1.105

Tropicana low acid w/ two cups of 2:1 sucrose solution O.G. 1.088

Florida Natural most pulp w/ two cups of 2:1 sucrose solution O.G. ? too much pulp to measure, no pulp probably would have been better.

Dextrose/sucrose starter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using Wyeast Sweet Mead liquid yeast. I made a starter about 12 hours beforehand, 24 probably would have been better but hopefully it still takes. I'd like to make some that are still sweet after fermentation and looking at my O.G. I think they're all going to be fairly dry but we'll see.

Before anyone says it, yes I've read the posts saying orange juice smells like vomit when fermented. I still have high hopes for the orange peach mango; as well as the mulled ciders which are equal parts orange juice, cider, and tea.

I started them this afternoon, it's been around 8 hours on the mulled ciders which I did first and no activity yet. I hope the spices aren't acting too strongly as preservatives.

It took 24 hours to get signs of life in all of them, but now after three days they're all cranking right along. The kirkland rasp/cran keeps pushing bubbles up into the airlock and turning my airlock water pink but the rest aren't too bubbly.

Looking forward to the results, I assume it will take at least a month. My mead has been going for over a month now and it's still at ~15 seconds per airlock bubble.

Well it's been over a month and they're still fermenting, I was obviously completely wrong about the OG's they're going to be sweet for sure. I tasted them all today and most are pretty good thought still quite sweet. The mulled cider that I didn't add any sugar to is not going to be drinkable. It tastes like clove water.

The OJ isn't as bad as I was expecting probably because I put in so much sugar. It's pretty acidic and sour still though and I would say not quite drinkable (I don't think it will be in the future either). The orange/peach/mango juice is fairly good though and I think will improve as well.

The apple juice didn't retain much apple flavor and just tastes sweet and alcoholic.

The berry juices are all decent but could use less sugar and/or more flavor, hopefully some more of that sugar ferments out but I think they're almost done as they are definitely strong already.

Yeah might have been better off without adding sugar and just refrigerating when it tasted good right as they suggest.

Edit: I tried blending some of the fermented cran/rasp with the original juice and that was more drinkable. I think I'm going to do this next.

http://***********/stories/recipes/...ian-lambic-and-sour-ale/1781-lindemans-lambic

I love framboise :)

Back