Fermentation Temp for Safale-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trubador

Reaction score
What is the accepted fermentation-temperature range for this dry yeast?

According to Fermentis it is 59 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Keep in mind that at 75 degrees ambient, your beer will be fermenting at 80 degrees or higher due to the heat from fermentation. You will want to keep ambient at 70 or below.

I've started using Safale (04 & 05) on the last several batches and had pretty good results running the ferm temp controller right about 67-69 degrees f.

For 05 is there any disadvantages for fermenting in the 62ish range? My house has been hella cold lately and the temp sticker says it's at around that low. I imagine it's ok, but just wanted to checked. I'm still getting consistant bubbles, but nowhere near what I would be getting in the upper 60's.

I have a batch with 05 going at 63F right now. After 5 days in the primary, the bulk of the fermentation is done, and I am getting a couple of bubbles per minute. I have used it down to about 60F with no problems.

Latest posts

Back