Help, First Brew, odd fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelforce

Reaction score
Does this look like a healthy Fermentation?
This is supposed to be a Tripel but the OG was a little low @ 1.07.
I used WLP510 Bastogne Belgian Ale Yeast with no starter.
The first 12 hours the yeast was floating in the middle of the carboy and now it seemed to settle but still sticking to the sides. I am only 3 days into my Primary Fermentation stage.

All the fermentation pictures I see online look pretty clean compared to mine...

Ferment1.jpg

Ferment2.jpg

Thanks for the greeting and reply.
In the beginning (Picture on the left) there were huge yeast masses floating around and clinging the the side of the carboy. I have seen different brews fermenting but none quite like this. This being my first real all-grain brew I am a bit paranoid :)

Don't you just love it when those wonderful yeast creatures chase around in the carboy, like they are play tag. So soothing to watch!

and yes welcome to Home Brew Talk and this wonder filled passion of home brewing!

Unfortunately, fermentation looks weird. It's a bit unsettling, but don't worry about it. Also, note that no two ferementations will look quite the same. Try using Whirlfloc and then look at what happens right after you pitch - talk about weird looking, it looks like a freaking alien invasion is occuring in your fermenter.

Funny you mentioned Whirlfloc, my buddy used a way too much Irish Moss (1oz). When I pitched the yeast it did kind of look like an alien invasion. I read in other forums that Whirlfloc and Irish Moss are the same thing. I tasted the beer before fermenting and thankfully it did not have a fishy taste to it...Wow, I'm such a noob!

Back