Slow start, quick ferment, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Newbie here... seen a few posts about this but didn't see the answer I was after...

I did a batch, pitched the yeast and 0 activity for 36h. Then bubbled like crazy for about 36h, then nothing. Shook the bucket around to aerate a bit, maybe stir things up a bit, waited a day and if there are still bubbles, they're few/far apart and I'm not seeing it.

Basically, question is... if the OG was 1.064, if I do a reading now... what roughly should I expect to see to know if I should either

a) syphon to the secondary
b) something wrong and I should looking at more yeast or doing something else

... side question, if the yeast is fine, anyone have a good link to a how-to for gathering/saving the yeast for future batches? or is that a bad idea?

Thanks

Oh, batch was the below using the liquid extract, and yeast fuel.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_43_250&products_id=1113

Don't shake or aerate the beer! Once fermentation has begun you want to do everything "quietly" and without any splashing.

It sounds fine. Your SG is probably between 1.010 and 1.020. I don't use a secondary, but you can if you want to. To me, it's just another chance to risk infection, aeration, etc, and it's not necessary. Some people do rack to a secondary, though. Actually, that word is a misnomer in this instance. It's not really a secondary fermenter since no fermentation happens there. It's more properly called a "bright tank", a clearing vessel to use when you want to brew another beer and use the primary fermenter in the new batch. I just bought more buckets, and only rack to a new vessel if I'm actually doing something to the beer- oaking, adding more fermentables, etc.

For saving and reusing yeast, I like this technique: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Don't? dang thought I was being clever in giving oxygen.

Was watching that TV series 'Brew Masters' and they tried to kick start a batch that way, but likely a bit more to it than what the show says.

Does it do any harm? off-flavours? I kept the lid on to avoid stuff getting in.

Don't? dang thought I was being clever in giving oxygen.

Was watching that TV series 'Brew Masters' and they tried to kick start a batch that way, but likely a bit more to it than what the show says.

Does it do any harm? off-flavours? I kept the lid on to avoid stuff getting in.

Yes, oxidation can cause some off-flavors like sherry or even wet cardboard. Since you kept the lid on, you may not have aerated it much. But don't make it a practice!

To restart fermentation that has stalled, oxygen may be used. But your fermentation isn't stalled. It's just finished. If you used a hydrometer, and the beer was at 1.050, and not moving over a couple of days, THEN it would be stuck. Before you do anything to fix a problem, you have to know that there's a problem!

Ah gotcha... so hopefully 1.010-1.020 if so great. If still basically 1.064, there's a problem.

I will check that in a bit and if I make another post... well, there's a problem. :D

Thanks

My prob when searching was, I never saw any numbers posted. Saw people ask 'did you take a reading' but never came across what to expect when you do. :D

exactly 1.020

:D

I'll move it, let it sit overnight and syphon tomorrow to the carboy. Thanks again, you saved me some nerves. Just wish I could drink it.

First batch that's not one of those Coopers can-kits which never came out very good so, very eager to see how this tastes and start brewing more if it's any good.

Back