fermenting too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedup

Reaction score
its been so many years since i brewed, but i dont ever recall fermenting taking more than a week.
but i never used liquid yeast before either. right now, im at 10 days. the first 3 or 4 days i had real nice activity in the airlock and it slowly tapered off. but for the past few days the rate of airlock activity hasnt really decreased and has been about one bubble per minute. the gravity reading i took earlier today was right on target tho. so is it uncommon for the ferment to be taking this long? (6.6lbs extract, 1.5lbs steeped grains, liquid Cali lager Wyeast) im wondering if the extra days are because i didnt make the start wort for the yeast and incubate for 2 days before adding it to the fermenter, so instead of multiplying in the starter wort, it essentially did the same thing in the fermenter, hence the extra days??

Could be...there are a lot of vagaries to fermentations such as pitching rates, yeast health, temperature (that's a big one), yeast strain characteristics, etc. Sometimes mine go in a few days, sometimes a couple weeks. I'd go ahead and rack to secondary if I were you. If you're going straight to bottles I'd take out the additional insurance of taking two gravity readings several days apart just to ensure that it's not still dropping.

im wondering if the extra days are because i didnt make the start wort for the yeast and incubate for 2 days before adding it to the fermenter, so instead of multiplying in the starter wort, it essentially did the same thing in the fermenter, hence the extra days??

Every hour in the starter is an hour off of the ferment. If you used dried yeasts before, they typically have 10 times the active cells of a liquid yeast or about what a starter (or smack pack) would have after a day.

Back