Hops Growth in Trouble??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulge1944

Reaction score
All,

I planted my first year hops indoors about a month ago. I used Miracle Grow potting soil. They did teriffic (about two feet long). I went to plant them today. I noticed that quite a few of the rhizomes had one bine coming off of them which had died at the tips. :( Some have began to put off side shoots already. Will this death of the growth shoot effect the overall height of the plant?? I was looking to getting somethig off of them this year. I am figuring that the rhizome will probably put off more bines so it should not matter too much. If it doesn't, there is always next year after the root system is more established....

Also, even though I was very gentle, many of the types that were left did break upon planting... guess it isn't my year...

Thanks.

I'm not quite sure from your description, but it sounds like the plants have been "tricked" into thinking it was a different time of year than what it is. Did you have the pot in an area that would give it less light than is available outdoors?

Either way, at this time of year you still should be able to bring things back to zero and get a full growth cycle. You shouldn't expect a harvest the first year anyway.

Did you harden them off before moving them outside? It takes a week or two to safely move plants from inside to outside completely. You might have sun burned or shocked them a bit if you didn't acclimatize them properly.

Back