Wort Dilution During/After Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyComet

Reaction score
I have been having a bit of trouble hitting my final numbers. I can’t quite dial in my efficiency and volumes. Most of the time I get 70-75% efficiency and sometimes I hit my volumes perfect and sometimes I’m off a bit.

Last week I brewed a Scottish Ale with a planned OG of 1.052 and 5.5 gallons into the fermentor. Well, I only ended up with 5 gallons going into the bucket at 1.057. I just figured I made some mistakes along the way, took more specific volume notes, and pitched the yeast.

I was thinking about it in the shower this morning and I realized I could have topped off a ½ gallon and possibly diluted the wort to the planned OG. I popped the numbers in Beersmith and sure enough, if I would have topped off the fermenter to get a final volume of 5.5 gallons, I would have diluted the wort to the planned OG of 1.052.

Long way around to the question; but can I top off the fermentor now? After almost a week of fermenting?

I guess I’m not too concerned about the ABV, I am just sort of bummed that I didn’t think of this on brew day.

Thanks

You can dilute at anytime. Just make sure the water is clean and pure. The best option would be bottled and distilled

Thanks for posting an answer. The more I think about it, the more I think I am just going to take my lumps and try not to make the same mistake next time.

-Jonny

Back