Won 3 Medals at CA State Fair!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacdan

Reaction score
Last year I won nothing. This year, I took first place for my Dry Stout, second place for my Simcoe Pale Ale, and third place for my Sweet Cider! This is awesome! I am very excited! I had eight entries and 3 out of 8 won!

Could you post the Simcoe PA recipe? That's my next brew and your version sounds worthy of trying. Congratulations BTW.

Could you post the Simcoe PA recipe? That's my next brew and your version sounds worthy of trying. Congratulations BTW.

Let me dig it out of my brewing binder. The cool thing about this recipe is that I made this one up after my first brew that i was making that day went faster than expected.

Congrats man. I'd be totally pumped as well.

So did you get medals, or pieces of paper? Cause I'd wear those medals everywhere for a friggin week.

Way to go, man! Whats the recipe for the sweet cider? That might go over well with my sister and gf

Way to go, man! Whats the recipe for the sweet cider? That might go over well with my sister and gf

I will get that one out as well and post it. It might be tonight or tomrrow until I can them posted.

Dude that's awesome, not my favorite styles, but it's always good to hear about someone sweeping a contest like that. Keep up the great brewing man, I'm looking forward to entering the first of my own next Feb.

Here are the recipes:

Sweet Cider:

4 Gallons of fresh unfiltered Cider from local Apple farm
1 gallon of RO water
2.5 cups Honey
8 oz Mollases
Wyeast Cider Yeast

No heating.

Pale Ale:
22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
2 lbs 4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2
8.8 oz CaraMunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.8 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4
4.00 oz Simcoe [12.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.65 oz Simcoe [12.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 34.4 IBUs
1.10 oz Amarillo Gold [10.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 15.2 IBUs
1.10 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.3 IBUs
2.20 oz Simcoe [12.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 9.1 IBUs

I used Denny Favorite for this one. I have also used Nottingham with great results. This is my favorite recipe!

Mashed at 154 F

I entered beer and haven't heard anything. I was at the fair on Sunday and the exhibit wasn't up and I couldn't find a single person at any of the information booths that knew a thing about the competition. Where did you find the info?

"I'm just really surprised that I can compete with people who have been doing this a lot longer than me," he said."

OK Dan, you have been brewing for ~20 years! I cannot imagine too many more homebrewers out there that have that much more experience!!

Quit being so modest, you made some awesome brews now enjoy the limelight!!

Congratulations!

Back