I have too many hops, what to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arondee

Reaction score
So for Christmas my wife bought some hops for me. By "some" I mean...

Cascade: 1# Pellets, 1# whole leaf
Amarillo: 1# Pellets
Chinook: 1# Pellets
Citra: 2# Pellets

So I have 6 pounds of hops sitting in the freezer that need something to do with. How am I possibly going to get through all of these hops before they go bad? I really like a good hoppy IPA. Any ideas you guys could throw my way for specific beers that will use up these hops? Right now I have a Belgian wit on tap and a Bells Two hearted clone in the primary. I'm open to any type of beer as long as I can use the hops I have listed above.

I was in the same position. Had a bunch of leftover hops in the fridge and decided to use them up. I made a double ipa with maris otter, Munich, carapils, and crystal 40. I'd find a good double ipa recipe you like and mimic the aau of the hop additions. Then dry hop the he'll out of it. Have fun!

heresy!! blasphemy!! too many hops????? with those hops, you're loaded for bear for american ipa's and apa's. that's about all, really. hope you like those 2 types. if not, let me know. i might be headed that way soon to help you drink them up :D

Haha. Thankfully I love American Ipa's. Once I open these how long will they last in the freezer? If I don't open them how long will they last?

I say dont rush it the hops if stored properly can last at least a year. I say invest in a vacuum sealer and just consider yourself stocked up for the hopocalypse.

I would make a CDA - tastes super good and have never brewed one yet! Check out some CDA recipes on here or on northern brewer!

Do a hop filled SMaSH! Here is my cascade/maris otter SMaSH, I am brewing it again today, it is smashing:

For 5.25 gallons
13 lbs MO
2 Oz Cascade 5.2% AA FWH (90 minute boil)
1 Oz Cascade 30 mins
1 Oz Cascade 20 mins
1 Oz Cascade 5 mins
1 Oz Cascade 0 mins

2 Oz Cascade dry hop 10 days, 5 cold
1 Oz Cascade leaf hops in the Keg

Nottingham is my yeast.

Do 10 gallons of this and you will have used more than 1 lb

or brew about 35 gallons of a Pliny clone (with some hop modifications) - that'll use up about 6 pounds...

but really, vacuum sealer and the freezer - they'll be fine.

This might help you:

add_more_hops.gif

lol, I love that pic! :D :D :mug: Add more hops!

LOL at that last pic. So I guess I need to find a vacuum sealer. A pliny clone with hop modifications sounds like an outstanding idea. 35 gallons may be overkill since Pliny should be drunk fresh...5-10 gallons sounds like a good start. Looks like Pliny has centennial, chinook, columbus, simcoe, and warrior hops. I found an extract recipe HERE
Would these replacements work out ok?

Replace Centennial with Amarillo
Replace Columbus with Cascade
Replace Simcoe with Citra
Replace Warrior with Chinook

That smash recipe sounds good as well. Excuse me for my newbieness but what does the "MO" in 13 lbs MO mean?

those hops will work, maybe even dry hop with some cascade too. mo means marris otter grains

Back