DIY Suggestions needed (3 smaller kegs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumpyyyyy

Reaction score
See the picture. Looking for some suggestions on what to use these for. I already have 2 of my 3 half barrel kegs needed for my setup so I don't need them for a HLT, MLT, or BK.

21261hy.jpg

The smaller ones are ~5 gallons
The larger is ~7.5 gallons

You could always use them for fermenters - one for 10 gallon batches and two for 5 gallon batches. Brewers Hardware has the necessary items to convert them here.

What would the benefits be of fermenting in a keg vs. carboy?

Also, how do you fill a ball lock keg?

SS keg isn't a glass bomb that could kill you. The larger is great as you would basically just need to pull the center spear out of it and pop an orange cap on top and you have a solid fermentation vessel with very little risk of blow out loss. Downside is cleaning will be a pain in the but and you should pick up a small mirror on a retracting stick so you can scope the inside. You can also make the leap to larger batches all in one fermentation vessel reducing the two carboy issue.

You can either pull the spear out and fill or you can keep a hand ball lock keg and use a jumper or... you can ferment in the larger, and then back pressurize the keg and force it into the new keg. I really want to make the jump to using kegs myself but have yet to come across a good set of 6-10gal kegs for sale. Good luck

Latest posts

Back