Wintergreen Essential Oil safe to use in root beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgravedoni

Reaction score
hey all, I've recently ran out of wintergreen leaves for my home-brewed root beer. I recently bought Veriditas 100% Pure Organic Wintergreen Oil from my local food-co op. I have read that Wintergreen Essential Oils are unsafe to use in cooking unless it specifically reads "food grade". This bottle doesn't have that listed, but does say USDA Certified Organic. I was hoping to use 1-2 drops per gallon in my root beer recipe, but fear that it's ill-advised for my health. Any information would be appreciated!

Organic doesn't necessarily mean safe to eat... All that refers to is the way in which it was grown / raised.

That being said, my two cents say it's alright, but I am in no means a medical professional. I would think, though, since it's the essential oils of the plant that it would be very concentrated and thus easy to overdo it. Start with a small drop and adjust from there.

Remember, you can always add more. You cannot, however, take it back out.

I also figured it was okay! I'm hoping to hear from someone who has also used Wintergreen Essential Oil in their recipe which wasn't labelled "food grade"

That was my main worry, although I did read that if it's labelled "Certified Pure Organic" that it is also another term for food grade. I figured that if it's safe to directly enter the bloodstream via the skin and inhalation, that a couple drops per gallon wouldn't really have much effect

Back