Llight, easily drinkable beer for a wedding??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazzuck

Reaction score
Hey guys! My uncle is getting married in 6 months and he wanted me to brew a batch for the occasion. I have very little experience in brewing lagers and other light beers, I'm a stout and IPA man myself. But I need a more light and easily drinkable beer for this event. So I'm wondering if you guys have any tips, ideas and or recipes to share with me?;)

- Marius

For my wedding I did these:
Liberty Cream Ale
Belgium Grand Cru -Midwest kit
Nutty Brown Ale
Oktoberfest Lager

The Belgium and Liberty Ales were big hits, the other two were not.
If I was to do it again, I would brew a Blonde, Cream Ale, and a Belgium Saison.

A pale ale, like a house pale ale.

Like Edworts haus pale ale or yoopers house pale ale.

You can tone down the hops a wee bit and keep them around 30 (I personally wouldn't). They want you to brew, if they wanted a cheap light beer they could get a keg....

Blonde Ales are generally group-friendly. If you can control fermentation temperatures and can cold crash, I wouldn't hesitate to make a Kolsch or Cream Ale.

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, and if you have fermentation temperature control, EdWort's Weisbier.

I was thinking of doing something like a Hefeweizen or a belgian wit beer. Any toughts?

Here's my "Low Life" recipe. Brewed it several times for parties and haven't had a bad comment.

3.3# Light Pilsen LME
2# Pilsner malt
2# Pale malt
1# Corn sugar
Mash grain at 152 for 60 min - 168 mash out - 170 sparge.

1oz US Saaz 60min
1oz US Saaz 5min

Nottingham yeast

Primary for three weeks and you should be good to go. You'll end up with a "light" beer (in color, but not flavor) with a ABV around 5-5.5% and IBU around 11-12. Drop the corn sugar to bring alcohol down.

All I have been doing is making session beers to learn. I just made a Belgian Enkel which will be under 5% but it looks like a double and hopefully nice and complex.

I'm doing a cream ale and a pumpkin ale for my wedding. The cream ale is for the BMC drinkers while the pumpkin ale is the seasonal beer (wedding is late sept) for those who may want to try something a little different.

+1 on the cream ale. It's a great style that pleases the BMC crowd while still giving people who appreciate good beer something to enjoy. I have a great recipe that I brew over and over again and my wife's friends drink it like it's Diet Coke. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Northern Brewer has a great cream ale kit that's always gone over well with the BMC crowd in my family.

Like Edworts haus pale ale or yoopers house pale ale.

I recently did a smashup of these two recipes and it went over really big at a recent work gathering (many non-beer drinkers/non craft brew drinkers). I was stoked because I was trying for a clean, malt forward pale ale, and it worked out as expected, and the audience loved it!

Mazzuck said:
I was thinking of doing something like a Hefeweizen or a belgian wit beer. Any toughts?

I made the Bee Cave Bavarian Hef (it's in the recipe section) for a wedding with some slight changes. 6.5 # wheat and 3.5 # of Vienna with 1oz hallertau for 45 min and .33 oz for 15 min. The hops were 3.4% so they were on the low end.

It was a great contrast to the ipa I also made and both cornies were gone quickly. It was my first ever wheat and I got nothing but praise, even from my MIL and that's not easy.

Back