IPA At Flameout IBUs too Low. How to adjust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipscman

Reaction score
Using a recipe and BeerSmith I projected a flameout SG of 64. I got 70 instead. That lowers the actual IBU/SG ratio even though the raw IBU level remains the same. I added more water to lower the SG but when I do that in BeerSmith it actually lowers the IBU/SG ratio as well as the IBU amount. Suspect this will be an unhoppy IPA - maybe a pale ale?

QUESTION: Jainasheff in his podcast mentioned the importance of adjusting this but I'm not sure how. Do you check your SG a half hour before flameout so you can add more late bittering hops or ??? Most of us don't use hop extract although that seems to be one obvious solution.

I know the dictum, "relax, it's only beer" and I'll enjoy it regardless, but it would be nice to be able to adjust for higher than expected gravity in the boil with regards to IBUs to bring the result into balance. YOUR thoughts?

Many Thanks!!! Newbie - brewed 19 all grain batches in last 5 months, from Dubbels to Doppelbacks, Weizenbocks, Cali. Common, etc. Lots to learn and loving more every minute of it. Started three other people in home brewing so far.

I think the key is measuring your pre-boil gravity, and knowing your system and how much you are going to boil off. If you know how much you will boil off, then it is an easy calculation to determine what the SG at the end of the boil will be as long as you are careful and know exactly how much wort you are collecting and what the pre-boil gravity of that wort is.

It is extremely unlikely you would notice the difference in bittering for that small a change in SG, but you can make a bittering tea to increase the IBUs.

I've made hop teas to add more hop character as well as bitterness to a few of my finished beers with decent results.

Thanks men for the assistance. The hop tea idea is GREAT! I will definitely use that in the future.

I understand the Belgians use extracts often so there must be a place for them. Another avenue to try and experiment with that doesn't require the time for boiling the tea.

Yep, I forgot to change the numbers in BeerSmith to account for a longer boil than anticipated. Thus the higher than expected gravity. I often make adjustments to increase the gravity when missing the numbers (haven't actually had that happen for quite awhile) but I've never encountered this mistake/challenge before.

Bottomline - thanks.

Back