New Belgium + Alpine Super India Pale Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
This beer has renewed my faith in New Belgium brewing. This brew is so very hoppy with tons of columbus, ammarillo and simcoe. Its rediculous. Try it if u can

I so miss living an hour from Fort Collins and having access to New Belgium beers. Can't even get 'em here. :(

I had it last week and thought it was terrible. There's almost no hop character besides columbus (slight nose of amarillo and simcoe, but is quickly overpowered by columbus). I had a tough time finishing it, but I paid $6 for the 12oz pour so I was at least going to get something from the alcohol.

(Warning, rant ahead)
I honestly dont understand the big obsession with columbus, it tastes so dirty and has such a strong and pungent amonia flavor/aroma. So many good IPAs are ruined by columbus. I mean, come on, 80% of the IPAs on the market use columbus, and you cant say that about any other hop. Why the big deal over a hop that tastes like a litterbox smells??

/endrant

I agree, I use columbus exclusively for bittering. Theres so many better hops for flavor/aroma.

Still wouldn't pass up the chance to try another new Belgium beer although they dont make it out here unless FedEx brings me some.

I love columbus in all aspects. But i do agree that it takes this beer over. Thats maybe why i like it.

Just tried it today and I love it, obsessed in how they got that much hop character in it but I suppose I like Columbus I guess! lol I think NB is the most overrated brewery in the country but this is a awesome colab!

Im a Columbus lover, but agree its over used. It's almost too pungent. I love it as a FWH, at flameout and especially as a Dry hop.

Haven't had this brew but would love to try it.

Just tried it today and I love it, obsessed in how they got that much hop character in it but I suppose I like Columbus I guess! lol I think NB is the most overrated brewery in the country but this is a awesome colab!

When I wrote this I had only had a sample. At the end of the night I had a full pint and it got a little overwhelming at the end for sure. As the last 3rd of the glass reminded me of something I could only describe as driving hop extract...lol Still deff worth trying if you see it.

Back