Is my Saison ready for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mao_echeverry

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum, so this question could have been answered already (although I couldn't find the answer, though!).

Anyway... I'm brewing a Saison and it is on the secondary fermenter. Gravity reads 1.008 and should be ready for bottling. BUT the airlock is still bubbling around once every 15 sec. Is it ready to bottle? what can happen if there is still fermentation going on? should I wait more time? Will I jeopardize the wort if I wait one more week?

Tks!

Mao

Check the gravity over the next few days and see if it changes at all. Nothing wrong with letting it sit a little longer...

Airlock activity doesn't mean fermentation. That could easily just be dissolved Co2 rising to the surface. Wait three days and check it again. If the gravity is the same then you're probably ready to go. 1.008 is a pretty common FG for a saison, but I've had a couple that got down to 1.006.

Thanks! I will wait then a couple of days and review the S.G. If there are no more changes, then it is time for bottling. I was worried about the bubbling, because it is a LOT of bubbling that I can see in the carboy.

3724 has fermented down to 1.003 for me on both the occasions that I used it. One was even at 70F. I would do as others have recommended. Check the gravity for 3 days and if the gravity hasn't changed in those 3 days go ahead and bottle.

Mhhh... I just check and I used 3711. I was confused. Anyway, in either case I'll check s.g. tomorrow and will leave a feedback.

Crazy how everyone's end results can be different. I do the exact same (this last was mashed at 147), 1lb sugar, big healthy starter and it got down to 1.006.

i am very interested in this thread because I have the 3711 yeasty beasties chowing through a Saison right now. Hungry little buggers.

I am curious just how low they will go.

How long in primary?

Three weeks. I usually hit my FG on a saison in 6 days when using that sweet sweet 3711. My typical saison procedure is 2 days at 68 then ramp up to 75. By the time I hit 75 I'm usually at .006 - .008. About 2 weeks later the beer is at the same gravity. I don't bother with secondary. I don't see the point.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I make a kick ass saison. I was just wondering how you got that 100%AA. Because that is nuts.

Three weeks. I usually hit my FG on a saison in 6 days when using that sweet sweet 3711. My typical saison procedure is 2 days at 68 then ramp up to 75. By the time I hit 75 I'm usually at .006 - .008. About 2 weeks later the beer is at the same gravity. I don't bother with secondary. I don't see the point.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I make a kick ass saison. I was just wondering how you got that 100%AA. Because that is nuts.

Try adding a pound or so of sugar disolved in water about three days into the fermentation.

Already do that. Even though the saisons I typically brew are table strength. In fact I've brewed the same recipe putting the sugar in the boil and strait into the fermenter. The only difference noted was faster fermentation on the one with the sugar added later. But the attenuation was the same. Of course if I was doing a higher alcohol saison adding the sugar into the fermenter later would be very important.

Could just be your recipe. Might have more unfermentables than mine has.

Could be. I do use a 1/4lb of 120l for some color. Again I'm not complaining. I love my saisons. As long as I get them under 1.010 I'm happy. I was just curious how you managed to get it that low.

Is your recipe all base malt?

Could be. I do use a 1/4lb of 120l for some color. Again I'm not complaining. I love my saisons. As long as I get them under 1.010 I'm happy. I was just curious how you managed to get it that low.

Is your recipe all base malt?

Pils, munich, wheat and some LME.

Latest posts

Back