Exploding Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpecerveza

Reaction score
Hi all-
Relatively new to brewing, I just brewed my 10th batch (an Oatmeal Stout) yesterday. Doing partial mashes at this point. This morning the lid blew off my fermenter, and the last two beers would have done the same had I not pulled the cap off the airlock and just kept soaking up all the bubbles before they hit the floor. I am using a 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter and brewing 5 gallon batches. I have been using smack-pac's (Wyeast) and letting them swell before pitching into yeast around 80 degrees. Is there any way to contain this crazy uber-fermentation?

Thanks for any insight you can offer...

search "blow off tube".The rule is you cant post about explosions without posting pics :D

80 degrees is a bit high. That is probably contributing to it.

But for the most part, blowoffs are a fact of life and a sign of a healthy fermentation. Hook up a blowoff tube and accept it.

A blow off tube is always an option but also remember that your fermcap drops will prevent huge krausen blow offs as well too.
-Me

Brewed an Oatmeal stout Saturday.

This was 24 hours later. Its now been 48 hours and the gravity is 1.021. I pitched at 68. Its now hovering around 71. AC is on full tilt.

018.jpg

You should get a better beer if you pitch at a lower temp

David :)

Here are more pics. 24 hours after pitching 1.6 litre starter from a stir plate with O2. Its a lot more than 10 gallons. 12? I sanitized another thermometer and put it in there. Its a mash thermometer in a 1/8" hole drilled in the top of the Keg.

001.jpg
This beer has gotta be good!

002.jpg

The thermometer is in the beer.

Edit: this is the first time in 7 years of fermenting in that keg. I guess its the stir plate. I am going to try to do it again. :)

More Edit. I have cleaned yeast off the closet ceiling.......

Not the closet, but yes to the kitchen, A few times.
Sometimes the tube can get blocked up and that creates a few awesome foam gusher, but it was a waste of good beer.

Back