1/2" or 3/4" tubing for Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewKaiser

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Designing a new 3 Keggle + Hex brew stand. Going the sanitary route with sanitary tri-clamps, welded fittings, and sanitary butterfly or automated valves.

Anyone care to offer advice or opinion on going 1/2" or 3/4". Pumps are 1/2", and any-which-way adjustable coolant hose for Sparge is 1/2".

Taking the measure twice, cut once approach and want to figure this all out first before CNC machining my kegs.

I was doing some flow testing on my stand the other day and was pretty impressed by the volume of liquid that my pumps were pushing through 1/2" hard piping and silicon tubing. I was expecting a greater flow reduction, especially with the 3/8" ID copper heat exchanger; however, the throughout was more than enough for a homebrew scale operation. Once I have everything set up, I will have to take some measurements to support that claim, but plumbing with full 1/2" should suit your needs.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have designed my brewstand such that all lines leading into either pump's supply manifold (pump in) are 3/4" and all lines leading out from the return manifold (pump out) are 1/2". I have a sample valve on both return manifolds for bleeding air and for taking hydro and PH samples during mash and boil.

After reading about the chugger pumps, having a more restricted flow on the output side than the input side is beneficial.

At 7GPM Max these certainly are great little pumps.

Back