canning element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Maybe the wrong forum but - well - here's the deal:

I boil in my kitchen using an electric stove/range. Works well generally but the range became problematic and I discovered my 7+ gallon boils had melted the terminal block on the element. So I got the range repaired ($$$) and paid some attention to the process. I then ordered additional terminal blocks ($5 vs $25 + labor) and tested out my new big kettle. Melted again! Having paid attention I repaired it myself this time!

Now I have a canning element. The underneath seems relatively unblemished. so far. But I had to remove the drip tray so it so it could fit. A canning element is simply an element that has additional space below - in this case maybe 2" - so that the top of the stove does not heat up enough to damage the underneath.

My questions:

Having had to remove the drip tray am I likely to add to the overall heat on the stove top or are drip trays really just to catch the drips?

My new element is a bit anemic, meaning I can get a very low boil after a whole lot of time but it is never robust and not at all rolling. For pilsners I assume this bad. How about pale ales etc?

Cheers!

Steve

Back