Nugget in a stout/Hybrid RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have 4oz of nugget in the freezer that I want to start using up. How would they work as the bittering hop in a dry irish stout or a russian imperial stout? I was also thinking of doing an out of style low abv RIS, bittering with nugget and flavoring with some left over EKGs. I'm not a fan of super strong beers so I was thinking of doing a RIS around 6.7%abv with about a 100 IBU's. Would the malt backbone of a roasty 6.7%abv beer stand up to 100IBU's? Thanks for any info.

I just brewed the Dry Irish Stout kit from Midwest, and the recipe used .5 oz of nugget for bittering and 1 oz Willamette for aroma. So I would say nugget is just fine to bitter a stout.

That said, the kit actually came with 1 oz of nugget and, of course, I used it :rockin: . At 14.4% AA my calculator gives me 50-something IBUs for the 1oz nugget @ 60 min. and 1 oz Willamette @ 2min. (can't remember off the top of my head). It's quite hoppy for a dry stout, and I'm not sure the malt holds up. To be fair, it's only had 3 and half weeks in the fermenter and is still waiting to be bottled, so it has a while to go before it's conditioned and in good shape. It's going to be a good beer (I like hops), but we'll see how balanced it is when it's finished, I guess. Right now it smells like flowers and tastes like an IPA.

I used Columbus (14.4% AA) as my bittering hop in my RIS, which turned out to be 8.1% and 52 IBU. I used Northern Brewer for my flavor and aroma hops, and it turned out great.

I think 100 IBU's would be too much for an RIS, especially a low gravity version. Mine is pretty hoppy (think Victory Storm King), and I think if it were any more hoppy it would take away from the classic RIS flavors.

YMMV.

I think 100 IBU's would be too much for an RIS, especially a low gravity version. Mine is pretty hoppy (think Victory Storm King), and I think if it were any more hoppy it would take away from the classic RIS flavors.

YMMV.

yea maybe I should stay around 55-60IBU

Latest posts

Back