Star-san in a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a spare corny--thought it would be sweet to keep a mix of star-san under pressure for brew day (easy dispensing). I've heard of others doing this--how long am I going to be able to keep the sanitizer in the keg before it eats its way through?

Thanks for the advice,
jkpq45

Forever?

I (and others) keep a little star san in cleaned kegs for storage.

When I am ready to fill the keg, I just squirt out the star san under CO2 pressure.

(ETA: Just one spare cornie? I have nine and am having scheduling issues. I need at least two more, RIGHT NOW.)

Thanks for the input--I read some other threads insinuating that the main problems you encounter with Star-San are on copper or aluminum.

So star-san won't eat through the stainless steel in a corny keg (if mixed in proper ratios per the directions)?

Fair enough. I'll brew as much as I can, of course the solution is more carboys.

In the end, it appears mixed, carbonated Coca-Cola has a pH of 2.5-4.2. It appears our Star-San at pH 3 or so shouldn't harm the corny.

We keep a medium-strong Nitric Acid in a SS tank at work. The currect tank is @ about 10 years of being full 24/7/365 and it still looks almost perfect.

The hot caustic tank looks worse.

EDIT: Some folks dedicate a difficult to seal corny for sanitizer. I have an old-style Firestone Challenger keg (with the different-shaped lid) that is a bit of a PITA to seal so once the current brew in it is finished it is getting dedicated to sanitizer duty.

Back