New attempt at cyser! 3rd try is a charm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arpolis

Reaction score
Hello all! I have not been active for a while but getting back into some brewing.

I have tried Cysers a few times and have not been as happy with them as I think I should have. My very first one had apples cut into 1/8th and got a bad infection so was ruined. My next several batches used Motts apple juice or frozen concentrate. They were all ok but not amazing.

So now I am trying once again but I am going back to fresh apples and making changes to the recipe based off of my experiences with traditional meads. The recipe:

8 apples
3/4 tsp potassium bicarbonate
1 tsp yeast nutrients
.5 tsp yeast energizer
1 gallon water
Honey (see steps)
Yeast (slurry of London ESB 1968 from bochet project)

I started when I started harvesting honey from a hive of mine. I crushed raw capped comb in a straining bucket with coarse filter bag. After I had about 16lb of honey harvest I poured a gallon of really hot water over it all and rinsed out the bees wax in the hot water. I removed the wax and put the liquid in a 2 gallon bucket. I added all ingredients lack yeast and only 1/2 of the nutrients. Then added 2 crushed Camden tablets, stirred well and left lightly sealed for 24 hours.
The O.G. Is at 1.120. Much higher than I anticipated. Must have been more honey than I thought in that bucket.

The yeast is a slurry that was left in my fridge a couple months ago from a rootbeer bochet I started a while back. The yeast was lightly washed but still smelled slightly of rootbeer. I activated it with warm water, a pinch of nutrients and a tsp of sugar.

After 24 hours I pitched the yeast and mixed the mead well. It was already overwhelmingly pungent with apple smells. I placed it in a room with a heater that keeps it in the upper 70*F - lower 80*f range. After about 36 hours the bucket is bubbling nicely through its airlock.

Original start date is 3/15/2015 in the evening. Today 3/19 I am adding second round of yeast nutrients. Here is to hoping it goes well.

A friend of mine recommended using Wyeast Sweet Mead Yeast when making cysers. I've made three so far using that yeast and they have all turned out really great!

That may be a good yeast for Cysers. I could see its potential. London ESB tends to throw a lot of fruity esters that I hope compliment the style. It has worked well in many other recipes I have tried so it will be nice to see how it works here.

For a good cyser you really need good apple cider to start with, dropping in a couple of chopped up apples aint going to do it, store bought juice really aint going to do it well either, some fresh cider, hopefully made with a few tannin apples or regular apples with a few crabs dropped in works very well. Cool that you got some honey from you hive, we are putting in some nucs this spring to build up again. WVMJ

I think that is what I need to do. Later in the year when the local orchards are picking apples I need to try and see which ones I can get in on that and see if they can press me some fresh cider.

I checked te gravity if this bad boy today. I have had it in a room that was sitting at around the 80*F temp range. I also added an additional round of nutrients after 5 days to help the yeast push as far as it can. The yeast is rated from Wyeast to be reliable up to 9% ABV. So I expected a lot of residual sugar and wanted to push this yeast to its max. The slurry of this yeast used is a 3rd generation slurry that has been through other meads. With that and my above conditions I found the gravity this evening at 1.004!!! So just over 15% ABV on this bad boy. So I should not have to worry about a sickeningly sweet cyser I guess. Here in a few weeks when most of the yeast is settled out I may rack, stabilize, and then cut this 50/50 with some cider to get the ABV closer to 7% - 8% and make this more of a casual drink for the lady friends/Swmbo. Age it in a couple one gallon carboys for 2-3 months racking appropriately and then see where it is on the flavor.

I'm working on a cyser but instead of for "casual drinking" I'm shooting for 20% to 25% ABV. I'm really confident I'll break 20% its only been 5 days in primary and has gone from 1.135 to 1.062 and the yeast is still going strong, I'll add nutrients today if its below 1.050 when I degas tonight.

Hello all! I have not been active for a while but getting back into some brewing.

I have tried Cysers a few times and have not been as happy with them as I think I should have. My very first one had apples cut into 1/8th and got a bad infection so was ruined. My next several batches used Motts apple juice or frozen concentrate. They were all ok but not amazing.

So now I am trying once again but I am going back to fresh apples and making changes to the recipe based off of my experiences with traditional meads. The recipe:

8 apples
3/4 tsp potassium bicarbonate
1 tsp yeast nutrients
.5 tsp yeast energizer
1 gallon water
Honey (see steps)
Yeast (slurry of London ESB 1968 from bochet project)

I started when I started harvesting honey from a hive of mine. I crushed raw capped comb in a straining bucket with coarse filter bag. After I had about 16lb of honey harvest I poured a gallon of really hot water over it all and rinsed out the bees wax in the hot water. I removed the wax and put the liquid in a 2 gallon bucket. I added all ingredients lack yeast and only 1/2 of the nutrients. Then added 2 crushed Camden tablets, stirred well and left lightly sealed for 24 hours.
The O.G. Is at 1.120. Much higher than I anticipated. Must have been more honey than I thought in that bucket.

The yeast is a slurry that was left in my fridge a couple months ago from a rootbeer bochet I started a while back. The yeast was lightly washed but still smelled slightly of rootbeer. I activated it with warm water, a pinch of nutrients and a tsp of sugar.

After 24 hours I pitched the yeast and mixed the mead well. It was already overwhelmingly pungent with apple smells. I placed it in a room with a heater that keeps it in the upper 70*F - lower 80*f range. After about 36 hours the bucket is bubbling nicely through its airlock.

Original start date is 3/15/2015 in the evening. Today 3/19 I am adding second round of yeast nutrients. Here is to hoping it goes well.

8 apples in a gallon of water isn't going to give you much apple flavor, you'll be lucky to taste them at all post fermentation. Why don't you use juice? THAT'S what cyser is after all, apple juice & honey. And why are you adding bicarb? The acid from the fruit is already diluted from the water.

Find some tasty, fresh pressed juice/soft cider (the brown, cloudy stuff) or just use store bought juice. If you can get some crab apples, add some to the must. Crab apples will add some tannins & give your cider a bit of bite. You can add a dose of acid blend to liven it up too. Cyser can be really awesome, but you've got to start with good ingredients & use a good recipe to get a great end product. Good luck.
Regards, GF.

Ok I racked off the fruit evenly into two 1 gallon carboys, stabilized and added 1.5 liters of fresh cider to each to top them off. I think after second racking I will make sure one carboy is full and then the other will have its head space filled with tart cherry juice and some oak.

Ok I blended the two gallon jars today and got them off the setiment. I added a crushed Camden and back sweetened with probably a few ounces of honey. I did not check the FG. I will do that after it clears more. It is still a little cloudy so I added 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme in hopes that will help. The second gallon wS obviously short so I added 32 fl oz of R. W. Knudsen's tart cherry juice and added .25 oz of medium French toasted oak. There was a little more head space so I added about 1/2 cup of water I used to rinse out the juice jar. I added all the same as the first batch accept an additional 1/4 tsp of Sorbate to make sure I do not dilute the Sorbate too much and get fermentation to restart.

There was a little left in sweetened in the bottling bucket so I tried that. Very good so far. I little hot on the alcohol but not much. also a little dry for a fruit mead IMO so I bet the sweetening will help a lot. Here in near a month I will check gravity, adjust and may just bottle.

My friend, no wonder you are having so much trouble making cysers. Start searching for a cidermill and start with some good cider to start with and stop adding stuff to it. WVMJ

I don't have a real good cidermill close by. I did look into making my own cider press at one point. There are some you tube videos on all wooden Apple grinders and presses. But for now these taste pretty good. The cherry one was inspired by another thread so it was kind of spur of the moment.

Latest posts

Back