Another Noob Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imsission

Reaction score
Hello, First post on here and on a bunch of other forums i'm on I would probably get a F off Noob, but it seems everyone is a lot nicer here and way more helpful.

Last night I created my first starter, 1000ml in a 2000ml flask, boiled 15 minutes with 100g of XL DME. I think that part is correct from what I read on here. I cooled it in an ice bath to about room temp and pitched my WLP007.

This morning I check it on the stir plate and it looked awesome some light foam on top and great mix of creaminess.

Attempt at attaching an image...
lM7_QQMZhxg-8yW6k38Pgnex2t8-6wn62a4YkhRX_rM

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lM7_QQMZhxg-8yW6k38Pgnex2t8-6wn62a4YkhRX_rM?feat=directlink

Then three hours later when I went to get the starter to pitch it was all separated. When I stopped the stir-plate there was a nice layer of yeast on the bottom.

2ND attempt to attach an image...
ltUf4BHGQsIu3fjvgYok5Hex2t8-6wn62a4YkhRX_rM

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ltUf4BHGQsIu3fjvgYok5Hex2t8-6wn62a4YkhRX_rM?feat=directlink

I'm pretty sure it's fine, but wanted to check with the guru's.

I'm wondering why it became so seperated? Is my stir bar is too small, 1 inch, and it didn't have enough power to keep the yeast in suspension or did I messed up somewhere.

Thanks for all the help! You guys ROCK.

Personally, I can't see any of the pics you had associated with this question.

But otherwise, if you made a starter and let it sit a while, and you had some settlement on the bottom of the starter flask, you were successful. Pour off 80% the clear liquid on top, and swirl the bottom yeast up into the remaining 20%. Pitch that.

I am not sure of your times, but generally I like 36-48 hours for the starter to get it's thing dome.

Don't see any pics, but since you're alarmed by the amount of seperation....I know it's actually a good thing. Sounds like you attenuated the batch as much as you could...and those yeasties all fell down into sediment. You did right! :rockin:

Thanks for the quick replies. i guess I just thought the yeast was in full suspension all the time with the stir plate. I updated the post with links to the photos.

Thanks again.

So I was able to see the couple of photos now: they both looked like yeast in suspension to me. The main thing you're looking for in a done starter is a yeast slurry in the bottom...like this:

stir_plate_yeast.jpg

The main thing that a stir plate, or swirling every once in awhile, is that you're adding more oxygen for there to be optimal yeast sediment at the bottom.

Sweet, Thanks Dave! I had a nice yeast sediment at the bottom when I turned the stir plate off.

Thanks agian.

Back