Help me identify this tank!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekage

Reaction score
So my brewing buddy's uncle gave us this tank. It's stainless, conical, appears to be around 7-10 gallons. I guess it was a sprayer of some sort. It was in an old abandoned building and very dusty. The inside is bone dry and has no smell. It has a long dip tube in the center and a port on the side for pressurizing it? Can I safely clean it and use it in brewing? What would I need to retrofit it for use as a conical?

2012-07-15 20.16.48.jpg

2012-07-15 20.17.24.jpg

2012-07-15 20.17.30.jpg

2012-07-15 20.17.38.jpg

2012-07-15 20.18.01.jpg

It's not very old. With that etched DOT number on it, it was used to transport something. the fitting reminds me of something that I have seen, but I can't place it. I would say that given a REALLY good cleaning it should be fine. I would use hot water first, (lots of it) then a hot alkaline soak overnight, rinse (lots) and then and acid soak overnight and rinse.

It is DOT and CTC certified, that's good, not an antique. It is a liquid cylinder, noted in 4L82, 4L being the ID for a welded insulated cylinder. I think it's rated for 82PSI. Wonder if it was an old liquid oxygen tank or something. It was made hydro tested by Cochran Labs in Milwaukie sometime after 1960 when they came into business, that is the symbol there, large C and small L inside. . It was manufactured by Puritan Bennett, that is the M4009.

I would use hot water first, (lots of it) then a hot alkaline soak overnight, rinse (lots) and then and acid soak overnight and rinse.
Are you meaning specific products or something like bleach?

Any ideas on retrofitting? I thought about welding a nipple on the flat "bottom" or just drilling a hole and using a bung and airlock similar to what we use for a bucket lid. But i would really like to be able to open the top for cleaning....

Are you meaning specific products or something like bleach?

Any ideas on retrofitting? I thought about welding a nipple on the flat "bottom" or just drilling a hole and using a bung and airlock similar to what we use for a bucket lid. But i would really like to be able to open the top for cleaning....

Never use bleach on stainless!!! It will pit the surface and cause oxidation.

Back