Grape aroma in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No known malt! Yikes!

If you want a truly grape flavored beer, I'd add some grape juice, wine, or melted grape jolly ranchers candy to the secondary fermentor.

Anchor uses 1272, which has a bit of a fruity character. I would also look into Glacier hops, they always remind me of grapes.

-d

Nelson Sauvin hops are advertised as producing Sauvingon Blanc notes. I have used them and can confirm that they are capable of this. 2-3 oz in a five gallon batch will definitely produce flavor contributions reminiscent of a white wine.

moose123 said:
When I late hop a bunch Nelson always blows my mind this was the description I found

Sorry my having issues on my iPhone:)

Aroma/Flavor: I think this is the most unusual descriptions I have seen for a hop variety. Nelson Sauvin hops impart a grape-like flavor to beers, defined as a cool climate white wine grape flavors. Other descriptors include extreme fruitiness, Passionfruit, and “Fresh Crushed Gooseberries”.

There's a thread in the recipe section somewhere about a Midas Touch clone. I even saw some sites online about that micro-archeologist that Sam worked with to come up with a recipe for the beer residues in pots found in king Midas's tomb. It used White Muscat grape juice as well. I came up with a recipe for it after all that reading that I have yet to brew. It'll cost me some money,but it'll get done eventually.
So search the recipe forum for ideas along that line.
**Ok,I found one link to Sam & the archeologist of several pages; http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Beer-Archaeologist.html?c=y&page=1
http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/midas-touch.htm
Looks like those are the only links I have left still working. Guess you'll have to search some more.

Back