when to put label on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When is the best time to put the label on the bottle? Before or after adding the beer to the bottle?

I bottle first (bottle from keg is my method) and then if I am storing the beers I wait for the condensation to subside then I label. If I am giving them away cold (which I do frequently) I let them sit for a bit and then dry with a paper towel and label as fast as I can and then place in the fridge to help stop the condensation.

I bottle, water-dip to clean them up, dry them and stick them using AVERY 5264 and use the free Design Pro software to lay them out, and print them from my work Laser Printer.... they turn out sweeeeeeet.
Here is a link to the labels & software.

V

Labels
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000093IJY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Software
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-&-Software/Software/Avery-DesignPro-for-Mac.htm

My new labels using both....Bayou Brown Ale, and VooDoo Black IPA.....

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Voodoocurt those are awesome. Since bottling is so "wet and messy" I bottle first, then rinse and dry the bottles for labeling. just my way.

Ziggy,
Thanks, that's basically what I do as well. I usually brew and bottle two batches at a time so the labels go on pretty much the same day as bottling, otherwise they could get mixed up going into the beer fridge. Thanks again.

V

Yea. Don't trust your memory. We recently brewed four batches (all the same wort) and used different yeast to compare. We had four different kinds of caps and figured we could easily tell them apart. After 3 weeks everybody remembered the cap codes differently. :eek: Should have just used lables like smart brewers would.

Sorry about that, just google "Avery Design Pro". That's the software, for getting them all on one sheet. And it's Avery 5264.....

NOTE: I just did my first bottle wash with these, you need to let them soak in OxyClean for a day or two....they were on there pretty good, but came off fairly easily...I dunk them in a storage bin with a cup or two of OxyClean and let them soak during the week and bottle on Friday's....let me know if you need anything else....

V

voodoocurt, those labels of yours are great looking!

I'm thinking about labeling a few of my American Brown ales that should be ready in a week or two to give to a few friends around the holidays. The Avery labels seem like an easy way to do it.

I never label bottles of my own as I don't care to remove labels from a bottle more than once, but for gifts to others, I like the idea.

Yea. Don't trust your memory. We recently brewed four batches (all the same wort) and used different yeast to compare. We had four different kinds of caps and figured we could easily tell them apart. After 3 weeks everybody remembered the cap codes differently. :eek: Should have just used lables like smart brewers would.

Or take a sharpie to the caps :)

I only bottle, and I reuse my stock. I have no interest in continually removing labels for cleaning, but it is nice to have some sort of marking so I know what's what. I've been using the sharpie on the cap method, but even that gets old. I've been thinking about just getting a pricing gun and being done with it. A simple batch code or battling date is all I really need.

Hamsterbite said:
I only bottle, and I reuse my stock. I have no interest in continually removing labels for cleaning, but it is nice to have some sort of marking so I know what's what. I've been using the sharpie on the cap method, but even that gets old. I've been thinking about just getting a pricing gun and being done with it. A simple batch code or battling date is all I really need.

I use a round Avery label on the cap. I print brew name , brew date, alcohol content , bottle date and drink date

I use a Dymo label printer, and just slap the new labels on top of the old ones. After I get four or five piles on top of each other, I usually try to rip. the stack off and start over.

Back