Good AG starter recipe for 1st brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
I'm sure this question is probably a bit vague

I'm in the process of finishing my mash tun atm and I'm looking for a good starter recipe to help kick things off and get me acclomated to AG brewing.

Maybe something fairly simple with the vary basics of technique

Any suggestions?

Oof, this questions been asked a thousand times. What style of beer do you like? As far as simple goes, it doesn't get any easier than a SMaSH recipe.

Oof, this questions been asked a thousand times. What style of beer do you like? As far as simple goes, it doesn't get any easier than a SMaSH recipe.

yeah sorry for the redundant question that's been asked 1000times....I all types...I was thinking maybe a brown ale for my 1st but I like alot of Belgians and IPA's but i wasn't sure if those would be the types i should start with

EdWorts Haus Pale Ale (the one linked by portlandbeergeek) is pretty much the defacto standard first AG around here. You really can't go wrong with that one (unless you don't like cascades :D).

Yooperbrews Dogfish Head IPA clone didn't give me any problems and promises to be a real winner. It was excellent when I transferred to secondary even without carbonation.

Who dosen't like Cascades? :confused:

And I was about to ask "what's a SMaSH?", but once I typed it out I think I've got it. Single Malt and Single Hop? I've seen it mentioned before and could not for the life of me figure it out.

Who dosen't like Cascades? :confused:

And I was about to ask "what's a SMaSH?", but once I typed it out I think I've got it. Single Malt and Single Hop? I've seen it mentioned before and could not for the life of me figure it out.
I don't particularly care for them. ;) And you're right about SMaSH. Maris Otter/Fuggles is a damn fine beer and the best SMaSH I've made so far!

Well, just about ANY recipe will work for your first time. If you like browns, then do a brown! It doesn't matter how many/kinds/types of grains you have- they all go into the mash together so it isn't difficult. The only cautions I'd give you are to stay away from decoctions and step mashes (more common in German bocks and the like) or a beer with a high percentage of adjuncts or wheat. Those tend to be sticky, and can cause a stuck mash or stuck sparge which can be a PITA.

I suggest browsing the recipe database and seeing what sounds good to you. There are recipes for IPAs, Stouts, Porters, English ales, etc, and I'm sure you'll find a few that look good.

Back