What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crushed 100 grams of Rahr 2-Row to check my mill gap in a #14 sieve. Spot on: 70/30 grits+husks/fines.

49331114-2F39-4F18-83F5-737E744B83B5.jpeg

For saving.

I got the 70/30 ratio from a MBAA presentation by Van Havig.

I recirculate across a RIMS during the entire mash. There’s a balance between good flow across the RIMS element and compacting the bed for a stuck mash. To help me, I crush a bit more grits vs fines, use a fairly thin 1.75/1 qts/lb mash, and a .7 gpm flow.

I can tighten the mill to 60/40 and see if I get a stuck mash. If I don’t I can go tighter. If I do I can back off. It’s just a tool to measure a balancing act.

IMG_1284.jpg

So what's in them bottles, Hoppy?
Today I ordered a couple dozen Belgian 750ml cork finish bottles along with corks and wire baskets from Midwest Supply. If the fermenting batch of tripel comes out as well as I hope, I'll bottle it in the corked bottles for gifts.
Also packratting supplies for a batch of quad.

Last edited:
The cheap Chinese one I got is only $20 on Amazon. I’m sure the certified standard versions are more expensive. If you’re a member of a club maybe the club can buy one and share it among members.

I got the 70/30 ratio from a MBAA presentation by Van Havig.

I recirculate across a RIMS during the entire mash. There’s a balance between good flow across the RIMS element and compacting the bed for a stuck mash. To help me, I crush a bit more grits vs fines, use a fairly thin 1.75/1 qts/lb mash, and a .7 gpm flow.

I can tighten the mill to 60/40 and see if I get a stuck mash. If I don’t I can go tighter. If I do I can back off. It’s just a tool to measure a balancing act.

View attachment 654167
I'd be interested to hear if you ultimately find this metric more helpful than simply experimenting with the mill gap as the index. I know commercial brewers use a whole series of screens, at least #30, #18, #14, #10, and pass, in their assay of the crush, sorting husk, grits, fines and flour, etc. I wonder if the proportion of a single division of particle size without knowing the assortment within the remainders really is telling; it seems like the stuff at the extreme gets you into the most trouble (though conditioning certainly minimizes that.) If you develop a good method for using a simpler sieve assortment to optimize milling, it would be a very interesting topic to post. I've long wondered if I could make good use of such analysis.

Unfortunately forced to bottle a batch of Hopslam clone that was still happily bubbling along. Had to get the beer out of the fermenter so now I get to babysit and burp the bottles for beer that was at 1.020 still

Kegged my tart red Flanders ale. After 5 1/2 months (3 on oak), it was still 1.010, and no oak flavor. But it’s the first time I have made it, so we’ll polish it off at Christmas and just have to make a second batch.

Too bad we're so far apart. IMHO, I am a metalworking genius!
Thanks. I’m thinking I will put a wood block under the weakened part and bolt the legs to some wood. It’s pretty much useless the way it is, so there’s only room for improvement.

finally got my xmas 2019 cheer beer brewed. A month till xmas day so it'll be interesting to see if I can get it turned around in time. Luckily i have fresh yeast and an empty keg!

Hefted kegs in the kegerator to see where they're at; for once the pipeline is completely full, with a Blonde still carbing and a WF lager in the ferment fridge that's almost ready to crash and lager for a week or so. Later will fill a couple growlers for dinner at the sister's house; the last of the cherry/apple cider and the current lager. My dad has alzheimer's and lives in a memory care facility; understandably they don't give him any beer other than NA ones once a week. So he'll get a glass of the lager to make him happy.

Got my corker, and some other stuff today. Corker is advertised as adjustable, NOT! I disassembled it and cut about 1/2" off the seating rod, to allow the cork to stick out of the bottle 1/2". Here is my first attempt with a used cork and wire basket.

15750603685007566261481604098442.jpg

Brewing a 3 gallon batch of an experimental buckwheat and chili beer.

So the store didn’t have buckwheat groats. I thought, sure, I can mash flour, I BIAB, how bad could it be?

Somewhere, some guy in a black top hat is twirling his little mustache and cackling “muahahahahaha!”

I hit my SG, but damn, I had to work for it.

Been busy with moving, but managed to kick the sahti and finally put the doppelbock on after about 6 months of lagering.

Sitting here tonight working on the 2019 Holiday Ale recipe. Grain was purchased today, LHBS had a great Black Friday sale on ($35 for 55lbs of two row, oh hells yes), and boss was gracious enough to let me leave early to go get it. Last year's batch was very well received; this year going with a bit more grain to heft up the ABV, also to get 7 gallons in the fermenter so 2 of them can get bottle conditioned; the rest will be kegged. My sister was nagging me at Thanksgiving as to when it would be ready since she absolutely adored it last year.

Sitting here tonight working on the 2019 Holiday Ale recipe. Grain was purchased today, LHBS had a great Black Friday sale on ($35 for 55lbs of two row, oh hells yes), and boss was gracious enough to let me leave early to go get it. Last year's batch was very well received; this year going with a bit more grain to heft up the ABV, also to get 7 gallons in the fermenter so 2 of them can get bottle conditioned; the rest will be kegged. My sister was nagging me at Thanksgiving as to when it would be ready since she absolutely adored it last year.
Just curious, which HBS in the Seattle area? Micro Homebrew or one of the others? My go to HBS is in Redmond.

Just curious, which HBS in the Seattle area? Micro Homebrew or one of the others? My go to HBS is in Redmond.
I usually go to Mt Si in Snoqualmie. Easy drive from my house (I live out towards Maple Valley), just a hop up 18 and a bit on 90. She's got a good selection of grain, decent variety of hops, and if I need a random piece of equipment she's usually got that too. Regular price on 55lbs of GW two row is $42.99, still a good price around here.

Back