Why I haven't brewed lately

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great Bobby! Where did you get that $43 quote on granite?

SWMBO and I are almost done redoing our cabinets, which of course makes our countertops look like crap, so we're starting to shop around.

I don't doubt that granite tile can look pretty good but IMHO, buyers in this area in this price range are expecting slabs. If I had already cut corners on the cabinets, I would have considered that option but $3400 slabs on $9500 cabinets seems reasonable to me.

The granite installers are coming to template today so I thought I'd update the thread on progress so far.

All the cabinets are mounted and even some of the finish work like decorative side panels are on. I'm waiting to do the finish trim until after the paint is done.

P1020098.JPG

This decorative onlay is going on the valence over the sink. Kraftmaid wanted $200 for this thing but I bought an unfinished one from osbornewoodproducts.com for $58 and finished it myself.
P1020099.JPG

It was the same kind of deal with these table legs. Kraftmaid = $530 for the pair. Osborne = $120 - Bobby FTW. This was my first time trying mortise and tenon joinery. Eh, it's passable. What do you think of the finish matching between the legs and doors?
P1020112.JPG

I also inset some 1/4" steel bar where this bar top is going to overhang by 12".
P1020108.JPG

I'll post more after the granite is in next week.

Wow, that's some quick photoshop work there.

One of the darn joists cupped bad and caused the subfloor to bulge 3/8 high down the entire length. I'm tiling so I had to fix it or I wouldn't be able to live with it.

Then tile, then all the Kraftmaid cabinets that are currently crowding my brew area will be moved in.

I have one that crowned in my kitchen. I exactly did you fix it? It sucks as you walk over it you fell your self rise and fall. Very annoying. I wasn't aware of a fix for that.

Thanks!

I have one that crowned in my kitchen. I exactly did you fix it? It sucks as you walk over it you fell your self rise and fall. Very annoying. I wasn't aware of a fix for that.

Thanks!

Remove the plywood back to the centers of the two "good" joists and use the wood removing tool of choice to trim it down to be level with the others. That can be a plane, a router on a sled, belt sander with 60 grit loaded, or a hand chisel. It's some of the suckiest work I've ever done.

Looks nice man. First you get the sink back, then you no longer are storing the cups, bowls and plates out in the living room. Man, I do not miss those days.

Looks great!
We did that a few years ago-The temporary kitchen was: a microwave on a card table in the den, coleman stove on the patio, also the grill. Sink was the laundry tub.

We lived like that for a couple of months-what a relief to get into the new working kitchen.

Looks great!
We did that a few years ago-The temporary kitchen was: a microwave on a card table in the den, coleman stove on the patio, also the grill. Sink was the laundry tub.

We lived like that for a couple of months-what a relief to get into the new working kitchen.

That's pretty much what we're doing right now, too. Been eating off paper plates for about six weeks. I did have the electrician hook up the 220 for the stove in the dining room temporarily, but the dining room's so full of crap that it's almost impossible to use anyway.

I caught my wife still walking into the dining room to microwave popcorn and going into the bathroom to fill a pot with water. It reminded me of the Money Pit when the wife was like, "did you see Walter? He was supposed to get me water" and the contractor spins the faucet knob for her.

Looks awesome, Bobby! Really like those countertops.

MAN, there's no better feeling in the world than being DONE with a project like this, is there? Such a pain in the ass doing all the work yourself, but there's nothing at all like the satisfaction when it all comes together.

Back