Gluten eating enzyme.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melby

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can purchase the or a similar enzyme to the one used in Omission? I'd love to use it for my gluten free friends.

First of all, Omission isn't made with just an enzyme; they also use a mutant strain of barley that produces very little detectable hordein. Second of all, yes, you can buy it, it's called ClarityFerm. Third of all, make sure your friends can tolerate Omission well before you try to make them a batch, and make sure that you don't include wheat (especially not unmalted wheat) in the grist. If you really want to be safe(r), I would suggest using some non-gluten ingredients to make up around half the fermentables--rice syrup, honey, candi syrup, etc. Of course, if you REALLY want to be safe, buy some malted millet instead. The flavor is quite comparable to barley and there are now two maltsters in the U.S. making a full range of specialty malts (crystal, roast, etc.).

CMC is actually opening a dedicated facility. I've brewed tons of beer with their malts, and while I react to Omission, I do not react to the beers I've made with their malts. But if you're sketched out, there's also Grouse, www.grouseco.com, they are slow to respond but they only do GF malts.

Back