5 litre mini keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I tried the search function but got a million returns and none of them mentioned the mini keg system I was looking at. So here's the question - has anyone tried one of these mini keg systems? I'm not talking about the Avanti and others that are a dispenser that you buy commercial beer to run through it. These are empty kegs with a tapper that you could put your home brew in. Here's a link to an example;
http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item2094.htm

The friend that showed me this says he has a few of them that he is trying for the first time. He is actually carbing the beer in the mini kegs. He also has a dispenser attachment that lets him pressurize the keg with a mini CO2 cartridge.

It seems like this might be a good compromise for folks like me that aren't really looking for a full on keg system but would like to cut down on the bottling time (five of these guys and your done :ban:)

Having used those "mini co2" cartridges before, I can pretty much gaurantee you that it won't carbonate one of those mini kegs. I can barely dispense 5 gallons of beer with 2 of them.

Even if you used 15 cartridges to do the job, you'd still have no way of knowing what pressure you were carbonating at unless you bought one of those $140 mini regulators.

Also, the tapper shown in the picture introduces air into the beer. Once you tap a keg, you'll need to drink it within a day or two or it'll go flat. Good for parties, not for keeping beer on tap. This is the system you'd want...http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item2601.htm

With the above system, you could naturally carbonate the beer with priming sugar like you do with bottling, and then just tap the beer with the co2 dispenser.

This looks more like what the guy at work said he has. So has anybody got one? Is it worth $60 bucks?

It's more like $100 after the curency conversion. And no, I don't think so. It all depends on how tight on space you are. If you don't have room for full 1/6th kegs, then this might be something to look into.

For me it's not so much about room as how long it would take to go through a regular 5 gallon keg. I'm guessing about 1 1/2 to 2 months and that seems like a long time to have a keg hooked up. I've always been kinda slow... :drunk:

This thread has a lot more info on mini kegs:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/experiences-fass-frisch-report-them-here-82638/

I've looked at lots of threads, here's what I've gathered:

1) 5L mini kegs from Heineken do not work for homebrewing.

2) You can naturally carb, but force carbing is not really feasible except maybe with a beer gun.

3) The Avanti Mini Pub works, but the Krups Beertender does not.

4) You can only re-use the mini kegs between 4-12 times depending on how careful you are with them, but they definitely do not last as long as corny kegs.

5) You can re-use mini kegs of commercially available beers such as warsteiner, rogue, paulaner, bitburger (but again, NOT heineken).

6) You go through lots of CO2 cartridges, but you can also adapt larger 12 oz CO2 tanks but you have to make sure they are food grade and not "paintball" canisters that are contaminated with a lubricant.

7) Midwest supply has lots of mini-kegging equipment including the kegs, the bungs, and the same dispensing kit you've mentioned.

I am very interested in getting an avanti mini pub and naturally carbing in re-used mini kegs, but the more i look into it, the more it seems like I should just go for a corny keg setup. It seems like an expensive process that can also be somewhat hazardous (if you dont properly calculate the carbing, the keg can burst open).

Back