Pacman yeast harvest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbroze

Reaction score
I have one 22 oz bottle of Dead Guy Ale remaining :drunk: . Can I make a sufficient starter out of this bottle or should I go pick up a couple more bottles to add more yeast? This is the first time I have tried to harvest from a bottle and I really want the Pacman yeast for an upcoming freash hop IPA.

I was planning on starting off very small with the starter then increase with additional wort to the starter so it doesn't stress the yeast too much.

Have you guys ever harvested from one bottle before? How have your results been?

Thanks

THere is some debate as to whether or not Deadguy is filtered or not and whether there is actually enough yeast in there to harvest. I have had great luck with bombers of shakespear stout, hazelnut stout, and any of the bombers where it actually says pacman yeast on the bottle.

I can't confirm or deny whether one bottle of DG will work, since I usually use multiple bottles when I try to harvest (I leave an inch of beer in the bomber then carefully recapp the bottle with a sanitized cap and store in the fridge until I have a couple three bottles, then add them all at once.)

Since I've never JUST used all DG, I can't tell.

If you look at the similar threads box below, you can see some of the back and forth on whether or not anyone's been successful with JUST dead Guy.

I have one 22 oz bottle of Dead Guy Ale remaining :drunk: . Can I make a sufficient starter out of this bottle or should I go pick up a couple more bottles to add more yeast? This is the first time I have tried to harvest from a bottle and I really want the Pacman yeast for an upcoming freash hop IPA.

I was planning on starting off very small with the starter then increase with additional wort to the starter so it doesn't stress the yeast too much.

Have you guys ever harvested from one bottle before? How have your results been?

Thanks

Or you can take much of the effort out of it and purchase it here.;):D

Yeah, I could buy it but where would be the fun/suspense in that. I need somehing to fret over to really experience the joys of success.

I have done some additional reading and have found others with success. Although every success story I have read has been from multiple bottles. So I must try the single bottle approach and keep this thread up to date on the status.

Warning - I do have patience....because I have beer ready to drink! :mug:

Now it is off to the homebrew store to get the supplies in anticipation for the next brew......:ban:

Back