Once grains have been crushed, how long do they last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxn

Reaction score
I got some crushed grains for what was going to be my first AG brew. But I decided to try something easier first, so I can test things out and be ready to drink it within a few weeks.

So looks like I've got ~12 lbs. of crushed grains that I'll be holding on to for minimum of a week, possibly 2 before I can do another batch.

Is this bad? Is there anything I can do to maximize freshness?

Keep them in a cool dry place to maximize freshness. They will be fine for several weeks as long as they are in a sealed bag.

Would it be good to stick them in a sealed bag in the refrigerator? Or is that frowned upon? Better to just put it in a closet?

I often wait weeks or months. As long as a grain stays dry (store in low humidity) and cool it can last for a year or so, even when coarse-ground like the grains in the baking section of your grocery store. They go bad only through attack by fungi, insects, and bacteria, all of which require moisture.

Latest posts

Back