bud light wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they had it on tap at a bar i was at saturday. i had a few too many before i saw it, so i figured i would give it a fair shot on another night

i was thinking about trying it but it was a disaster of a night, we were out for swmbo's birthday and i got caught between the fake snow covered mountain tap of the coors light and the bright orange tap handle for the bud wheat. so i went with rum

I'm sure it tastes terrible.

I just thought it was interesting that they just got bought out by Belgians and now they've got a wheat beer!

Hey at the very least it might broaden peoples ideas of what beer can taste like if just a tiny bit. I truly wish that BMC would make a good representative craft beer just so diehard BMC drinkers would be more willing to try it. Oh well....

I tried it last weekend. It is very similar to their Bud Ale situation. By far it is not a great wheat beer. Is it horrible? No. Did I dump it out? Yes. In the end I see this as a stepping stool to craft beers for the fizzy yellow beer drinkers

I tried it about 3 weeks ago at my bartending class. (Our bartender teacher is the distributor of liquor for most of north florida)

I did not like it. Not because it was terrible, but just not my style. it didn't seem to follow the american ale boat where it was just poorly done. it seemed to me like it was a mix of a really thin american wheat and a bud light.

what I mean to say is, it tastes like 3/4 bud light, 1/4 american wheat.

really disappointing, but what was I expecting.. :(

Tried it tonight.... not very good. Nice try AB, but you're way off on this one. Maybe I just couldn't get past the fact that I was drinking something with the words "bud" and "light" on the label... I dunno.... :)

.....I see this as a stepping stool to craft beers for the fizzy yellow beer drinkers

+3 on that.

I tried one yesterday because I had a friend give me a bottle. He had stopped by to see what I had been brewing and was looking for samples of Homebrew, and to shoot the shizzle. It was ice cold from the cooler. I will have to admit that because I had been outside working and was thirsty it didn't taste too bad. I agree that it's a watered down version of a wheat beer. I could taste the coriander and orange somewhat. Maybe normal BMC drinkers will actually start buying and trying craft beers because of this.

hopefully this will bring them to understand that there is more to beer than bud light and "the dark stuff".

it irks me when someone sees me drinking a hefeweizen (I know... a hefeweizen) and say that's too dark for me.

really?

hopefully this will bring them to understand that there is more to beer than bud light and "the dark stuff".

it irks me when someone sees me drinking a hefeweizen (I know... a hefeweizen) and say that's too dark for me.

really?

Yea I've had this happen but I've also had guys cross over by way of hefe.

hefes are a hit or miss. some people cannot stand the yeasty taste. that taste is definitely what has made it the number 1 style for me. it's a perfect match for me

So is this a light version of a wheat beer or just branded as bud light? People seem to think it tastes watered down which I'm thinking may be because they actually did try to lower the calories on it.

Tried searching for information on AB.com and could not find anything about it. Oh well.

So is this a light version of a wheat beer or just branded as bud light? People seem to think it tastes watered down which I'm thinking may be because they actually did try to lower the calories on it.

I would say it's a light version of a wheat beer. I don't know the nutrition facts but the only way I can describe it is that it's a wit that tastes like Bud Light.

I mean I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Just not much right. It's just an "easy to drink" boring beer.

In a glass:

budwheat.jpg

I tried one, but only because it was a freebie from our distributor. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between Bud Light and Bud Light Wheat. The guy gave us two and I split one three ways and gave the other away. Like someone else said, just a stupid gimmick by AB.

I bought a six pack of Bud American Ale. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I wouldn't want to buy it ever again if I had a choice though. But if I was stuck in a crummy bar, I would buy that before any other miller/bud/coors etc beer

I may just drink a coke. I really didn't like the american ale. nothing against AB. I drink bud light when I watch football, the american ale just didn't work for me.

Wow, that BMC hate is thick around here. If a company is loosing market share, why can't they try something new (for them)? It will be a gateway for more BMC drinkers to try something new. I personally look forward to trying it.

Bought a sixer of it tonight. Not overly exciting, but not downright horrible really. Just a boring, easy sipping, watered down beer. A thirst quenching, home from the job and need something easy to drinking, type of beer.

Pretty watered down but hints of spice and orange. Was not really all that bad in my opinion, but not blown away. Put it down there with the 'if I had to drink something while mowing the lawn, what'd it be?' category.

I might add, I was very worried to try it - last time I was accosted by Bud Light I almost barfed on myself. Could not believe that I used to drink that stuff. SWMBO pretty much echoed that.

Followed one up with a bomber of Stone Russian Imperial Stout. :rockin:

I'm drinking a sixer right now, I just had to try it. I told my wife geez its gonna s*ck. Even the bottle look dumb , like some secretary designed it. Now, work with me here. Its called Bud light Golden Wheat. So I am comparing to Bud light. Its 10 times better than Bud Light. It's not awesome, but its better than Bud Light.

The way I see, I'm tired of going places where only BMC is sold, and I dont have anything to drink. I hope people love it, that way I will have soemthing to sip on at BMC sponsored events.

I think it's absolutely great that BMC are seeing value in extending their product line away from their roots. I have 5 AB American Ales in my fridge from the 6 pack I bought 6 months ago but the fact that they are addressing our market is great.

This will introduce other beer drinkers to different beer styles just like the Michelob line expansion, their pumpkin beer and Coors' Blue Moon. Many of these new beer drinkers will stay with BMC but have an occasional beer from craft brewers and some of these drinkers will discover the whole world of craft beer through these lines.

I seriously doubt there will be a significant number of craft beer drinkers who are going to say "gee, I really like the variety of craft beer, I just wish it was more like BMC!" The craft beer enthusiasts won't return to BMC; unless they do it better than the craft brewers.

Ive drank 2. Guy that owns the local beer store gave them to me to try a few weeks ago. He runs all new beers by me. I'm not aan expert but i guess im as close as he can get. Its not bad, but its not what we would consider a true Wit either. Its something i would order at the local BMC sponsored event. Definately not enough flavor though.

I'm drinking a sixer right now, I just had to try it. I told my wife geez its gonna s*ck. Even the bottle look dumb , like some secretary designed it. Now, work with me here. Its called Bud light Golden Wheat. So I am comparing to Bud light. Its 10 times better than Bud Light. It's not awesome, but its better than Bud Light.

The way I see, I'm tired of going places where only BMC is sold, and I dont have anything to drink. I hope people love it, that way I will have soemthing to sip on at BMC sponsored events.

Ive drank 2. Guy that owns the local beer store gave them to me to try a few weeks ago. He runs all new beers by me. I'm not aan expert but i guess im as close as he can get. Its not bad, but its not what we would consider a true Wit either. Its something i would order at the local BMC sponsored event. Definately not enough flavor though.

Have either of you tried shock top? Is this just a rebranding of that?

I've tried Shock Top on tap before. I think Shock Top might have more character to it. This Golden Wheat is still pretty close to flavored water, but again, its better than plain Bud Light.

Had a few of these at a dinner this weekend. I like it. It's just like what you'd expect, Bud Light flavor with a little wheat flavor. No stronger wheat flavors like in German beers, like the traditional clove/banana type flavors, but you can definitely taste the wheat.

I'd have to say that while this doesn't hold up to real wheat beers, it definitely is the top of the Bud/Miller/Coors light beers.

Worth a try. But don't go in expecting a German wheat. But they're only 110 calories.

~r~

Had a few of these at a dinner this weekend. I like it. It's just like what you'd expect, Bud Light flavor with a little wheat flavor. No stronger wheat flavors like in German beers, like the traditional clove/banana type flavors, but you can definitely taste the wheat.

I'd have to say that while this doesn't hold up to real wheat beers, it definitely is the top of the Bud/Miller/Coors light beers.

Worth a try. But don't go in expecting a German wheat. But they're only 110 calories.

~r~

to be fair, most hefeweizens are only 170-180 per 12oz.

as far as this being at the top of BMC, I'm not really sure. I kind of prefer Blue moon to this stuff

what is light beer anyway? try this: take blue moon (170 calories for 12 oz) and bud light golden wheat, 110 calories for 12 oz.

now: fill a cup with about 2/3 blue moon, and 1/3 water

stir a little

taste and compare with bud light golden wheat. same calories, but I still pick blue moon

I thought about getting a 6er last week, but for $6.99 at the beer store I figured I'd prefer two bags of combos and some beef jerky.

American Ale is a solid beer. I think it almost has too much flavor, probably scaring away their normal Bud drinkers.

However I'll look more closely next time at the wheat and if the bottles are similar to the american amber ale bottles they have I may have no choice.

Those bottles are SWEET.

Have either of you tried shock top? Is this just a rebranding of that?

I was a fan of Shock Top before AB sold out to !nBev (which is one of the main reasons I started homebrewing). That being said, I reluctantly bought a six pack of Golden Wheat last weekend to see how it compared. To be honest I think they are pretty close if not exactly the same (though I did have a cold when I drank it so my taste buds were a little impaired). Be warned, the bottles are twist off so you cannot reuse them :mad:

I noticed a couple of Shock Tops in the fridge at my in-laws this past weekend. I'll do a side-by-side comparison this weekend when I go back.

Yeah the bottles suck, its like no thought went into it at all. THey are just bud light bottles with very little graphics effort

Back