First brew too bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks agian Moderator

Mind you this is my first atempt at brewing

24 days old total, 10 days in primary,straight to bottling

2 3 pound bags extra light powder malt
2 tbsp bittering hobbs
3/4 cup honey
Hefewiezen german ale wyeast

1/3 cup corn sugar

1 Boiled all but wyeast for an hour in 5 gallons of distilled water.
2 poured all into primary without cooling (I wont do that anymore)
3 waited 24 hrs. then pitched wyeast
4 left next to computer for one week (At 85 degrees , I did not know about temp isues at that point, lesson learned)till airlock quit burping
5 went to bottle and realized i didnt have enough corn sugar (But went ahead anyway)

End result= No carbonation, Way too bitter

But the taste is great just the way i like.
Cant stand dry mouth!

What kind of bittering hops did you use? Sounds like an ounce to me.

Your beer is still green. I'd give it more time.

Next time try to ferment around 68 to 70 degrees. You'll also want to use 6.5 gallons of water next time too, that way you'll end up with about 5 to 5.5 gallons after an hour boil.

Bottle with 3/4 cup of corn sugar.

Patience is all you need at this stage.

I got this recipe from my brother and his turns out great at this point.

the only difference i have made was twice as much hops and not enough sugar.

would it cause aditional problems if i added some of this batch to a new batch

next time, weigh your hops...volume measurements just aren't accurate.

if its really undrinkable, yes you could make another batch, or even a partial batch, and then mix the two. the only issue with mixing is to avoid aeration. you'll need a big bucket, or two buckets...rack into them DO NOT POUR,and maybe gently mix with a spoon, avoiding any splashes.

I wouldn't think so. If your mouth feels dry after drinking your beer, I think it could be two possible things. 1- tannins extracted from grains (which you didn't use so that leaves that out), and 2- the beer fermented too much leaving it "dry", that is, without much body and residual sweetness or malt flavor.

I recommend a hydrometer. You can take the specific gravity when it's finished and see if it's too dry. If that's the case, the next time you could use a different yeast and see if that helps.

I think though, if you wait about three weeks, the beer you have will be much better!

Wow thanks for the quick reply

Im starting to worry about the fact that all fermenting was done at 85 degrees

i dont want to drink somthing that could get me sick

It will taste really fruity. The warm ferment won't make the batch bitter. I had 20 gallons that got that warm. It was undrinkable so I was without HB for over six weeks.

Yeah, I think I'd just chalk this one up to experience. You don't want to oxidize it, and you don't want to reboil. Just count it as a learning experience and make your next batches better.

Fermenting at 85 degrees won't hurt you! Well, only if you overindulge. You might get worse hangovers from the fusel alcohols, but the beer itself is harmless.

You'll have off-flavors from that high of a temp that will be fruity, "hot" (phenols), etc. But it's still beer and better than Bud Light!

If you don't want it dry, you should leave out the honey next time. I know it sounds backwards but honey is so fermentable that it leaves little to no residual body/sweetness. You're also not getting a lot of body because you're way undercarbonated.

Latest posts

Back