Transferring only 1 gallon of beer from a 5 gallon batch to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPALove361

Reaction score
I couldn't find any similar posts. But I have a 5 gallon citra IPA batch fermenting right now and was going to transfer it to secondary but I don't have an extra 5 gallon carboy to transfer for secondary but I do have an extra 1 gallon jug I was wondering if I could just transfer 1 gallon to secondary and just bottle the rest?

Most experienced brewers on this site will tell you to just finish in the primary and skip the secondary. If you're not reusing the yeast, you can dry hop in primary too.

Most experienced brewers on this site will tell you to just finish in the primary and skip the secondary. If you're not reusing the yeast, you can dry hop in primary too.

This ^^^^

I don't understand? Why do you want to secondary a gallon of a 5 gallon batch?

Just wait until it is clear then bottle it all.

You don't want to leave that airspace in primary after the fermentation has run it's course.. Bottle or keg it.
If you had a 3G keg or carboy you could fill that and then top off any other batches still in primary, but you would only want to do that if you needed the carboy for something else.

Ok I'll just leave it in primary a little longer. And I wanted to only secondary one batch because I don't have a second carboy to transfer to. My only concern was the yeast and sediment at the bottom.

Yeah, don't worry about contact with the yeast.. wait until you have a place to put it... now would however be a good time to dry-hop.. then leave it for another week at 70 and then cold-crash and bottle or keg

Back