Ferment with or without fruit pulp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got some input on how to use up some blueberries to experiment with melomels. I have been reading about how most people crush the fruit and leave it with the must to ferment together in the primary. I happen to have a fruit press. Personally I would prefer to press the juice and toss the skins because it would make it easier for me in the long run. I am just wondering if people ferment with the pulp because they don't have a press or if it is recommended to ferment with the skins.

Also, I hear that it is better to add fruit to the secondary but I am not sure why. If so, how do I manage this if I am going to be adding juice only?

Thanks for the input.

I usually just throw the fruit in in the primary. Pectic enzyme prevents haze. And the secondary separates the wine from the fruit. I use a bucket for primary though so syphoning separates it. Though the last wine I did I had cherries that I power juiced. I think you can go either way but for me fruit in is easier

with meads you loose some flavor and color of the fruit to the primary fermentation. If you want a more fruity flavor then add the fruits to secondary. I like to add at least some fruit to primary though so that the yeast have that extra nutrition durring primary fermentation.

Some fruits it is good to add in the pulp. In a Pyment you keep the grape skins/pulp in the primary because it adds tannins for body. Many berries do the same thing. other fruits like citrouses you just want to zest them and juice the rest. I am big on making sure there are natural nitrates/nutrients in the must so the yeast are healthy and happy. That is why I usually prefer to keep the pulp in there.

with meads you loose some flavor and color of the fruit to the primary fermentation. If you want a more fruity flavor then add the fruits to secondary. I like to add at least some fruit to primary though so that the yeast have that extra nutrition durring primary fermentation.

Some fruits it is good to add in the pulp. In a Pyment you keep the grape skins/pulp in the primary because it adds tannins for body. Many berries do the same thing. other fruits like citrouses you just want to zest them and juice the rest. I am big on making sure there are natural nitrates/nutrients in the must so the yeast are healthy and happy. That is why I usually prefer to keep the pulp in there.

Thanks again!

I think I am going to press the juice out of the berries first. Then experiment also with adding different combination of pulp to primary and secondary to see how the flavor profile changes.

Juicing is certainly easier, I did it for my elder berry mead because I couldn't be bothered to fully de stem them all. Not having all the pulp on the bottom really does simplify racking but I guess it depends on the fruit.

It just depends on the type of batch you're aiming for.

If you work out, roughly, the amount of fruit you're gonna use, then put 25% in primary, as.it will extract colour and flavour, but the primary has a bleaching effect, so it wouldn't be as dark or fruity, so then adding the rest to secondary, adding the pectic enzyme and stabilising chems as well, any you get somewhere near the original fruit flavour.

I'm not a fan of the dry, "hint of" type brews obtained from the "all fruit in primary" technique.

Also, I don't puree either, just freeze and thaw, or steam extract.......

Latest posts

Back