how's the Morel hunt going this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
i'm a first time hunter of morels and have totally struck out so far. i've been out the last 4 days (snippets of time; haven't had a full day to devote) and have not found a thing. probably not surprising since i'm a newbie in that realm. i think i'm starting to hone in on the right kinds of areas though and with all the cool weather we've had, it might be a tad early. regardless, i love aimlessly wandering in the woods. how's anyone else doing??

I would love to go hunting for mushrooms, but I don't think I would have much luck in the desert. I do get some funky looking shrooms that grow in a terrarium I keep for my frogs, but I doubt they are edible.

As a side note, you should check out the book Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins. It's a really entertaining novel with lots of mushroom gathering.

Man do I miss those fresh Morels!! I always seemed to stumble on them when I was least looking for them.
Heck, there was even a big 'ol patch that popped up in the back yard every year! Seemed like everyone knew where some grew in Wisconsin.

Just starting to think about going out up here in Mich. It's been pretty wet so far, so hopefully they will start popping big time once it warms up. I've heard rumours of people finding a few small ones, so maybe I should be heading out now. I'm usually late, or it's too dry to do much good.

I had some dried for a few years and rehydrated them and they were just about as good as fresh. I fried them up on a nice little steak and made a small amount of mushroom gravy from the greasy remains from the bottom of the pan.

Man I miss me some morels.... I grew up in NW Missouri and my old man I would spend countless hours tromping through the woods on my grandfathers farm.

Apparently my dad and aunt have been finding a lot over the last couple weeks, so many that they're just giving them away to people.... He's come up with a way of freezing them as well so he can enjoy them through the rest of the year... I believe he breads them like he normally would, then throws them in the frying pan for just a minute or two, then let's them cool and then vacuum seals them and throws them in the deep freeze. I've never tried the frozen one side-by-side with 'fresh' cooked, however the frozens morels seem to taste every bit as good as the fresh.

I hear they are starting up out here in the west. Gonna try and get some this weekend.

i've been out a few more times and still haven't found any. we are supposed to get more rain this week, so maybe they just aren't popping in central iowa yet... or else i just suck at looking.

Latest posts

Back