Full Boil Extract - Hops utilization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFP51

Reaction score
Hello. I am very new to this hobby, and have only done two extract kits to date. The first batch, a basic brown ale, virtually disappeared at the Super Bowl last night, and I have an Oatmeal stout sitting in the fermenter now.

Next in the pipe is an AHB Fat Tire clone. I have the ability to do a full boil, and am planning on it. I am a little concerned about the hosp utilization rate based on some of the posts here. I e mailed AHB and was essentially told not to sweat it. Am I being paranoid, or do I need to adjust my hops? If I need to adjust, how do I do it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

As long as the recipe is for 5 gallons & you're planning on doing a full 5 gallon boil, I never adjust my hops, even if the kit instructions tell you to boil 2.5 gallons & top off your primary to 5 gallons. I would only adjust my hop schedule if changing the final recipe yield...for example, if going from a full 5 gallon recipe to a scaled-down 2.5 gallon test batch or if you wanted to double a 5 gallon recipe to 10 gallons.

Back