Bottling A Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyj

Reaction score
Well I know there's lots of threads about fermenting these bad boys, but....

What are some of yall's advice for bottling. I've been saving the big bottles (most of which were corked) and it sounds like I should not bottle in anything other than these to avoid any broken bottles.

My main question is, if I'm shooting for ~3.5 volumes CO2, am I going to have enough active yeast to do the job adequately?

I am fermenting with Wyeast 3724, and will have no problem going from my OG of 1.065 to 1.010 (maybe 1.008!) considering I'm here in TX with 95+ temps for the next 2 months minimum. As soon as it hits 1.010 or lower I will be bottling.

The last thing I want is an under carbed Saison. Had a beautiful Pils that was under carbed and I just about cried.

Thanks in advance.

Well I know there's lots of threads about fermenting these bad boys, but....

What are some of yall's advice for bottling. I've been saving the big bottles (most of which were corked) and it sounds like I should not bottle in anything other than these to avoid any broken bottles.

My main question is, if I'm shooting for ~3.5 volumes CO2, am I going to have enough active yeast to do the job adequately?

I am fermenting with Wyeast 3724, and will have no problem going from my OG of 1.065 to 1.010 (maybe 1.008!) considering I'm here in TX with 95+ temps for the next 2 months minimum. As soon as it hits 1.010 or lower I will be bottling.

The last thing I want is an under carbed Saison. Had a beautiful Pils that was under carbed and I just about cried.

Thanks in advance.

I'll take an undercarbed saison over an under-attenuated saison. Wyeast #3724 should take that beer down to 1.005 or better, if you give it time and attention. You should have no trouble with active yeast- my first saison with 3724 took 2 1/2 months (I let the temp drop to around 70 for a while by mistake), and it carbed up just fine. There's nothing to say you can't pitch in some neutral yeast like SA-05 at bottling if you're concerned though.

I do mine at 3 volumes, which is the highest I like to take standard bottles. If you're shooting for 3.5, I'd stick to the big ones. Bottle bombs suck.

I agree that undercarbed is better than under attenuated.

I am at 15 days right now, and just took a reading of 1.032. We've had temps soar into the low 100s here, but it is in a shaded barn that shouldn't be exceeding 98 at the most. Glad to hear everyone else has had similar luck with this yeast. I'll keep giving the bucket a swirl and check back in 2 more weeks I guess.

I'd rather not add additional yeast if it's not necessary.

German Hefeweizen bottles and Orval bottles are both fine for more volumes than usual American bottles, as are the smaller (cappable) bottles for Chimay, Duvel, and other big Belgians.

So it's been about 4 weeks and the gravity is around 1.014. Tastes great, I'd like to get it a little drier, but I don't think it is too sweet for a Saison (depending on what kind you like). I'm hoping to bottle next week, but I am now concerned that if I add enough priming sugar to achieve 3.5 volumes, that I will be much higher due to the residual sugars left in the beer.

Anyone know how to figure how much carbonation a gravity point will provide?

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back