Input Needed: Wedding Brewing Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMcCawley

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just found the forum on the website, very cool!

Anyways, I'm getting married on June 27th of this year and I'm planning on brewing the beer for the wedding and was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me some recipe recommendations. My initial thoughts are to brew two batches that will appeal to the masses and one or two that will appeal to those of us that are a little more particular of our beer (either clones or an original kit that I can buy somewhere online like Austin or MoreBeer). In addition to the homebrew I'm planning on having bottles of various Mexican or American lagers so the two kits that need to appeal to the masses don't have to be too light. Your suggestions and your reasons as to why you'd recommend them would be greatly appreciated.

2 cases (48) of a mexican beer (most likely Corona)
2 cases (48) of Bud Light or Coors Light
1-2 kits (50-100) of a lighter good beer (Amber Ale, Blonde Ale, Brown Ale, Hefeweizen, etc)
1-2 kits (50-100) of a hoppier full bodied beer. (Pale Ale, IPA, etc)

Thanks for your input and GodBless,
Matt

My recommendations:

For the "lighter" good beer, I recommend Midwest Supplies Flat Tire kit. This is a crowd pleaser. I am getting to the bottom of my keg of this, and am wishing there was one to switch it out for all ready to go. I am going to try to keep this on tap all the time.

For the hoppier beer, a nice APA or IPA is good and all, but I would recommend a standard American wheat beer instead. Wheat beers are widely liked, and are sure to please your guests.

One last recommendation while I'm giving them. For your light American beer, go with something you can at least reuse the bottles of. I believe Michelob Light comes in pry-offs. Just something to consider. The corona bottles are great for bottling ciders and the like.

Most of all, Matt, have a great time. I would have loved to have brewed beer for my wedding, but I just didn't have enough time to pull it off. Good luck!

Bsay,

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm not a huge Fat Tire fan, but it might be something worth considering because it does appeal to quite a few people.

I was at our local HomeBrew supply today and a couple of ideas came to mind: a Wheat Ale (perhaps spiced up a bit), Anchor Steam, and a Belgian Pale Ale. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your suggestions. The idea of buying pop top bottles didn't even occur to me.

Midwest Brewing has quite a few IPA's. Depending on the alcohol content your looking for in your beer. Hop Head has a good 6oz of hops in it and there is also another regional beer recipe they carry Ferocious. I would brew the IPA's first so they can bottle condition longer.

Before you get all in to brewing the beer for your wedding, you need to make sure that you are able to serve it wherever the wedding is being held.

I too wanted to brew the booze for my big day but the venue would now allow it. Even for my brothers wedding where we hired bartenders to serve at an art gallery, the bartenders were not legally allowed to serve any home made beverages.

Before you get all in to brewing the beer for your wedding, you need to make sure that you are able to serve it wherever the wedding is being held.

I too wanted to brew the booze for my big day but the venue would now allow it. Even for my brothers wedding where we hired bartenders to serve at an art gallery, the bartenders were not legally allowed to serve any home made beverages.

I second that. Check with the venue first. Their policy and/or your state's liquor laws may not allow it.

For something with lots of people, I'd go with a blonde and either an amber ale or a wheat. Nothing too crazy that's accessible to almost everyone.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Yeah, I have checked with the venue and I'm ok for alcohol but I didn't even think to look into whether or not they will allow homebrew. That would be a real bummer but I'm better off finding out now.

Congratulations! The biggest piece of advice I can give is don't stress. Oh you were asking for beer advice? Well in that case. My best friend got married this last October and for his wedding I made a Belgian Wit and a Vanilla Porter. He was bummed as he forgot to save any for himself and the guests drank all of the homebrew before the commercial stuff that he bought.

AFAJ,

Yeah, the stress is building and the fun is only starting to begin! Which Belgian Wit did you brew? Do you have a recipe for it? We are actually contemplating brewing a Belgian Wit due to the wide appeal but I wasn't sure who had a good kit.

Thanks again everyone!

I will more than happy to give you the recipe.

As for the wedding, it really is amazing how much you plan for the day to go perfect, just remember it wont. My wife and I had some grand scheme that all would go as planned. It didn't. In fact she lost her contacts about 4 hours before the wedding, no biggie really except she is blind as a bat! You know what, that little mishap made the day all that much better. So yeah, have fun, try to keep the stress low, remember it is yours and your better half's day not anyone else!

Back