Drip Irrigation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
I've put a in a simple drip system for my hop house and ran a couple lines for a new orchard I put in.

I've got two hangups that are giving me a hard time. I put 10 ft loops around my trees for irrigation and it's 1/4" drip line. It's the kind that just sort of sweats from everywhere rather than the beads that for drops.

I'm worried that this type of line is getting to be inconsistent from tree to tree. As in some portions of it sweat faster than others, and I'm worried about the long term effects of this. Should I switch to the other type of drip line? The one that beads in specific spots?

Also, all of the lines are coming off of a buried 3/4" black poly line. I am having a hell of a time getting the 3/4" line to stop leaking at a couple of joints. Is it because the line sat in the sun for a day or two before getting put together? The water is coming straight from the hose, is my pressure just too high?

The sweating type hose has very uneven distribution of water. You would be better with the small drip line that has built in emitters. How large are the fruit trees? The drip line should be in a smaller circle than the circumference of the outer branches. Like if your trees have a 10 ft span on the branches fron one side to the other do a 8ft circle of drip line. It's possible your pressure is too high for the sweat type line, with the drip line high pressure should not be a problem. I have run them at almost double normal water pressure and they will just drip at a faster rate than specified. I don't know why your black poly line would leak. You should use the plastic barbs with the crimp ring (oetiker) type clamps. It will clamp more even than worm gear clamps. Sitting in the sun usually only helps as it softens the plastic and makes it easier to insert the barb and get it clamped. I hope it helps. If you have any questions pm me I install irrigation in my work.

My trees are only a few feet tall, but 10 ft is the circumference of the circle so that's only 3 and 1/5 ft in diameter. I don't really want to go buy new drip line, but this sweat stuff is pretty frustrating so far.

I'm using barbs and worm clamps, but I think it's probably the pressure. I don't have a regulator on it, it just comes straight off the hydrant and the pressure is pretty darn high. What's the psi supposed to be for drip? Is there a standard?

You can buy 100' rolls of 1/2" Netafin drip line from irrigation supply houses for $25. Emitter spacing available at 12, 18 or 24 inches and anything (depending on brand) from .3 to .9 gallons per hour/emitter. If you're using 3/4" black poly, make sure you used the correct poly insert fittings and the correct pinch crimps applied with the right crimp tool. Crimped insert fittings withstand at least 80 psi. Odds are very low you're getting more than 40-50 out of a hose spigot (reality is that it's probably 25-30).

Back