Tonight's Dinner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustDave

Reaction score
I love trying new things.

Went to an Asian market during lunch today, so tonight's dinner consisted of:
  • Preserved duck eggs with soy sauce
  • Dried spicy cod
  • Lychees (fresh)
  • Tamarind (fresh)
  • Chili bamboo shoots (jar)
  • Fried gluten/peanuts in a soy/sugar/peanut sauce (jar)
Washed down with a Belgian wit .... and just like that, I've guaranteed myself a spot on the couch tonight. :)

DaveyBoy said:
and just like that, I've guaranteed myself a spot on the couch tonight. :)

Lol. We have a bunch of Asian markets here, mostly due to the large Asian population (go figure :D). At any rate, I was visiting my favorite one and asked the lady at the cash register about the availability of something (can't recall what it was atm) but she was like "you are the only non-Asian that eats this food". Lol. I dunno what that means hehe. And it wasn't the pigs blood. They always seem to have that so Boudin Noir is always an option :)

The Bamboo shoots preserved in Chili oil are great added to the end few minutes cooking of a Lo-Mein dish. Never had the fried Gluten personally (just sounds unappealing...maybe it is good but with so many other new things to try...).

Yeah, the fried gluten probably won't be a repeat purchase (I guess it's an acquired taste).

I just like trying new things -- and now I just need to find some good recipes!

DaveyBoy said:

.... and just like that, I've guaranteed myself a spot on the couch tonight. :)

...and just like that, you've guaranteed yourself a spot on the toilet tonight. :)

hehe

timeforchili said:
...and just like that, you've guaranteed yourself a spot on the toilet tonight. :)

hehe
haha

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie to you, I was a little gassy. :)

DaveyBoy said:

Lychees (fresh):)

I love fresh lychees. Interesting story, when I lived in Miami we had a tree in our backyard that just looked like a small/different tree. Never took notice of it really. Hurricane Andrew comes through, and soon after the tree produces tons of lychees and dies. For years, no sign of fruit, then boom!

landhoney said:
I love fresh lychees. Interesting story, when I lived in Miami we had a tree in our backyard that just looked like a small/different tree. Never took notice of it really. Hurricane Andrew comes through, and soon after the tree produces tons of lychees and dies. For years, no sign of fruit, then boom!

What may have happened is that many fruit trees actually respond to 'abuse'. When my uncle moved to Florida, he had an Orange tree that wouldn't bear much fruit. Well, a local Orange farmer told him to get a rubber hose and beat the trunk of the tree. So he did, and viola the next year he had a bumper crop. :D

Back