Just finished another AG batch...would like some critiquing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Just finished up another AG batch. For the most part it went pretty well but a few things went wrong (nothing major). Any feedback (good or bad) would be great.

I made Yooper's Dead Guy clone.

10 pounds maris otter
1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L
1 ounce Perle 60 minutes
.25 ounce perle 30 minutes
.25 ounce perle 5 minutes
.25 ounce saaz 5 minutes

Mashed in with 15.63 quarts at 157* for 45 minutes. Mashed out with 6.25 quarts to bring to 168* for 10 minutes. Vorlaufed until clear then drained the first running. Added 2.91 gallons at 168*, stirred and let rest for a few minutes. Vorlaufed until clear and drained.

I was planning on collecting 6.6 gallons with gravity of 1.058. I collected just a little under 6.5 gallons but my gravity was 1.046. Why the 12 point difference? Should I have left the mash in for a little longer? I bought the grains at my LHBS and he usually does a good job milling.

So to correct this I added 1.2 pounds of light DME. I boiled and did all the hop additions. I cooled with an IC. I brewed outside and it started to rain a little when I was cooling so a little rain got in and a bug or two that I was able to get out...no big deal.

I transferred to my bucket and ended up with 4.5 gallons with an OG of 1.075. I was planning on getting 5.25 with an OG of 1.067. I must have had the burner on too high and boiled off too much. I will be putting that into BeerSmith so hopefully next time I will get the right amount. I went to the store and bought a gallon of spring water. I brought it up to 5 gallons and came to the OG of 1.067.

I shook the crap out of it for 3 to 4 minutes and pitched the yeast. I used US-05 which I rehydrated in 90* water. I pitched at 71*.

Overall I think it went pretty well. I plan on fermenting this in the low 60s.

It sounds like it'll be good but perhaps a little sweeter/stronger than you expected. The hops might be a bit more subdued due to the higher gravity. It'll still be awesome if you're fermenting in the low 60s!

It was fermenting a little higher than I wanted...66 to 68. I put a wet towel around it with a fan blowing on it and that didn't seem to do anything. I didn't know what i was going to do until I saw out of the corner of my eye in my basement a beach cooler. It fit perfectly! Filled with water about half way up my bucket and put some ice in it. It is now at 58 to 60. Ill let it warm up a few degrees and it will be right where I want it.

US05 will definitely still work at 68, just may not give you as much of a smooth, crisp finish as 60 would. I'm pretty sure US05 is rated up to 72*, so you should be fine. Not too sure what to make of the gravity being so far off. I'm assuming you didn't take a Pre boil reading? That would help.

PS- where are you from? I'm asking because your profile picture is the exact logo of my middle school football team.

Copperpots_Brewing said:
US05 will definitely still work at 68, just may not give you as much of a smooth, crisp finish as 60 would. I'm pretty sure US05 is rated up to 72*, so you should be fine. Not too sure what to make of the gravity being so far off. I'm assuming you didn't take a Pre boil reading? That would help.

PS- where are you from? I'm asking because your profile picture is the exact logo of my middle school football team.

Luckily I got it down and it has been at 60.

My pre boil gravity was 1.046 and should have been 1.058.

I live in RI. I assume your schools mascot was the Patriot? My picture is Pat the Patriot, the old New England Patriots logo before they went with the Flying Elvis. Yeah not really sure why they call their logo the flying Elvis lol.

That's a fairly significant difference in final volume from your expected value and it seems like a lot to attribute to evaporation. Did you do the 1 hr boil or longer? Did you leave behind more wort than planned when transferring from the kettle to the fermentor? If so, you may be well served to make that adjustment in Beersmith also.

That's a fairly significant difference in final volume from your expected value and it seems like a lot to attribute to evaporation. Did you do the 1 hr boil or longer? Did you leave behind more wort than planned when transferring from the kettle to the fermentor? If so, you may be well served to make that adjustment in Beersmith also.

Yes I did a 1 hour boil. No I didn't leave anything behind. I used a hop bag so I removed the hops trub. I just threw in the hot and cold break material into my bucket. I used to filter it out but now I just throw it in and let it drop out during fermentation. I must have had the burner on way too high...but even then I have never had this much loss.

Back