Enough yeast in Secondary for new sugar addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vast_reaction

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm making a blackberry stout, with the blackberries to be added to the secondary fermentation vessel. My estimated OG is 1.082, and estimated FG is 1.021.

My question is, when I rack to secondary, leaving behind the yeast cake, will there be enough yeast left in that 1.021 solution to consume the sugar in 4-5lbs of Blackberries, or will I need to re-pitch a small amount of yeast? 1lb of Blackberries is estimated to add .007 gravity to a solution.

I appreciate any feedback or ideas! :D Thank you.

-Matt

It had enough yeast after syphoning for my blackcurrants certainly. I'd have no worries, especially with that much alcohol.

Yup, that is also how bottling works! Unless beer is filtered through a VERY fine filter or pasturized, there is always plenty of yeast left in suspension!

Oh, of course there would be yeast left. . . I never even considered the bottling process, that makes my answer pretty obvious! Awesome, thanks for your replies and I think I have some perspective on it now!

It had enough yeast after syphoning for my blackcurrants certainly. I'd have no worries, especially with that much alcohol.

Now that the topic is resolved, I don't feel bad about going off topic. Are you in edinburg VA? If so I have a ton of family out your way!

Now that the topic is resolved, I don't feel bad about going off topic. Are you in edinburg VA? If so I have a ton of family out your way!

No - the original and best Edinburgh some way to the east across a big bit of water :)

Latest posts

Back