false bottom/metal trivet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
When you all talk about a "false bottom" do you mean a metal trivet? Why would you call it a false bottom, if it's real, it exists?

Yes. They look similar. Isn't a trivet used to keep your hot pan from burning your countertop or table? That's a completely different function. It's called a false bottom because it's a bottom but not "the" bottom. Hopefully, it's the bottom of you grain but not your mash water. With all the wacko jargon in homebrew, I think it's pretty funny you picked this one to gripe about.

Yes. They look similar. Isn't a trivet used to keep your hot pan from burning your countertop or table? That's a completely different function. It's called a false bottom because it's a bottom but not "the" bottom. Hopefully, it's the bottom of you grain but not your mash water. With all the wacko jargon in homebrew, I think it's pretty funny you picked this one to gripe about.

Well, I asked because I ordered a false bottom, but then realized, oh look, this will work, I wasted my money. The metal trivet I have is to put on the bottom of your pan to keep the meat or whatever from actually touching the bottom of the pan. A false bottom... I guess I wasted my money buying one...

Well, I asked because I ordered a false bottom, but then realized, oh look, this will work, I wasted my money. The metal trivet I have is to put on the bottom of your pan to keep the meat or whatever from actually touching the bottom of the pan. A false bottom... I guess I wasted my money buying one...

Well, not really. Unless you're doing BIAB, I guess. The purpose of the false bottom is to keep the grain above the drain, so you can drain off the wort. It's to separate the grain from the wort. I think a trivet would not work very well as a strainer!

Well, not really. Unless you're doing BIAB, I guess. The purpose of the false bottom is to keep the grain above the drain, so you can drain off the wort. It's to separate the grain from the wort. I think a trivet would not work very well as a strainer!

Well, I am doing BIAB and just wanted to keep my bag from touching the bottom of the pot. But I see, when I move past BIAB I will have what I need for the job. Thanks, glad I didn't waste my money. All this stuff to learn, confuses me many times. But, I'll get there... eventually!

false bottom will be totally necessary when you move past the bag. you will be glad you went ahead and spent on it now when you start pricing out a few more stainless vessels. bobbilynn, after reading your post in the neighbor from hell thread, you are a legend, at least in my books....carryon

Back