Blew Lid over 10 Feet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Quality of the yeast must be really good. No starter used. Smacked the Wyeast pack only 1.5-2 hours before I used it.

Brewed yesterday. Sometime this evening the lid blew off and was laying 10 feet away. I don't know how long it was open but should be Ok.

It is an oberon Clone using Wyeast 1010 American Wheat.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Wowzer! I could understand the airlock, but the whole lid? Damn.

Yeah, those lids snap on tight too. I have cleaned and sanitized the lid once again and installed a blow off tube into a growler of water. Pulled the other airlock on the other 5 gallons of oberon and cleaned and sanitized it and reinstalled. I don't even know if I have another tube to install on that one.

I was relieved to see pics. I had a batch once that was about to blow the lid. I went to check on my fermenter and the entire bucket (lid included) was convex. I caught it in the nick of time.

The pressure inside the buckets are interesting, I ones tested my blow of tube to see if it was airtight, by ......wel......blowing on it. I was amaized how violent the lid blow of....

mine did the same thing on sunday morning. from the guys that i talked to the blow off tube is a must for wheat beers. i also put mine in a swamp chiller to cool the yeast down and make it a little less active. mine has not blown off since, but there is a ton of force pushing up on it atm...

Latest posts

Back