Couple of questions from my 1st bottling day..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azlane

Reaction score
So I did a search and found that it is not that uncommon to only rack approx 4 gallons from a 5 gallon batch if you stop siphoning about an inch above the sediment. I got 42 bottles out of my batch and unfortunately did not adjust the 5 oz of dextrose that I added to the bottling bucket. I used a dozen Grolsch bottles and the rest are 12 oz bottles.

1. How likely is it that I get bottle bombs from the higher sugar levels? I will bottle condition for 2-3 weeks before chilling.

I also got a bit different Gravity readings at both the OG and FG and want to confirm the ABV. I got 1.056 at OG which is 7.5% ABV and a 1.020 or 2.6? ABV at FG. I believe the recipe stated a bit lower readings for both OG and FG with their FG expected at 1.01.

2. Do I subtract 2.6% from 7.5% to get only a 4.9% ABV? This recipe is a First Born American Pale Ale which should be around 5% (from Brewers Connection). Does the ABV increase after bottling due to the added sugar?

Also noticed after I was done bottling that the amount I left in the primary (about 1 gallon) started bubbling again...

3. Is it possible I did not ferment long enough (no bubbles in airlock after 7 days and bottled after 9 days).

Thanks,
Drew

Bottle bombs are more likely if it's not done fermenting. It's difficult to add that much priming sugar by mistake. The beer could be done. 1.020 is high but extract batches often finish that high. the ABV is 4.8%.
http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php
You will get a very small amount of alcohol from priming. Even here in Utah naturally carbonated root beer is legal to give to kids.

I got 42 bottles out of my batch and unfortunately did not adjust the 5 oz of dextrose that I added to the bottling bucket. I used a dozen Grolsch bottles and the rest are 12 oz bottles.

It seems like you got like 4.3 gal. out. Don't be shy in tipping your bottling bucket with some shims, you can almost get all the beer out.

1. How likely is it that I get bottle bombs from the higher sugar levels? I will bottle condition for 2-3 weeks before chilling.

4.3 gal. is pretty close. However, 5 oz is actually high for even 5 gal. 4 oz is more the usual amount. Are you brewing a style with higher carbonation? I still think you will be ok. You will get 3 volumes of CO2 per bottle. Supposedly, regular brown bottles can hold 6 volumes and the flip tops can hold more.

(OG-FG)x131%=ABV% so I get 4.7%

3. Is it possible I did not ferment long enough (no bubbles in airlock after 7 days and bottled after 9 days).

It is possible, bubbling is effected by several things. If you are going to bottle after only 9 days, you should really confirm the end of fermentation with hydrometer readings over several days.

Thanks for the ABV calc link Conroe (I bookmarked it

Pkeeler - I converted the Grolsch 16oz bottles into equivalent 12oz bottles to arrive at 42 equiv 12 oz bottles which should be 3.9 gallons.

I used the 5oz packet that was in the kit but will reduce the size on my next batch based on this learning experience.

I had a friend that followed all the Kit directions for years.. including the 5oz of priming sugar... sure enough.. he always had over carbonated beers..... Cutting down to 4 oz (not what the kit gives you), and now the beers are pretty close to perfect.

I'm going to be bummed out if my batch turns out over carbonated. The recipe recommends room temp bottle conditioning for 7-10 days. If I start chilling the bottles at 7 days, is it possible that it might have less carbonation than waiting 10 days?

Take my wife's advice that she gave me today when I bottled my near perfect dryhopped IPA and forgot to stir up the dextrose syrup off the bottom... (I think I have some really sugared up bottle bombs and allot of bottles w/no priming sugar ? So~ I feel UR pain!)

"It'll be OK Honey. You can fix it next time"

I stirred the bottling bucket very carefully just a bit before I started bottling. Not sure is that one very brief stir keeps the sugar spread out evenly or if you should stir a few times throughout the bottling process which lasted 1+hrs?

I'm going to be bummed out if my batch turns out over carbonated. The recipe recommends room temp bottle conditioning for 7-10 days. If I start chilling the bottles at 7 days, is it possible that it might have less carbonation than waiting 10 days?

if the first ones are over carbed, then let them sit for a while longer. or you can put them in the fridge for a long time. that seems to mellow the carbonation.

I used to be really nervous about getting trub off of the bottom of the fermenter, so I would always have a lot of beer left in the bucket and wasted. In the past year or so, I have gotten more brave (or greedy), and I have begun placing a rolled up towel under one side of the bucket. When the level gets down to where my siphon begins sucking air, I slowly tilt the bucket even further. I just watch my tube to see if the beer is getting chunky carryover or cloudy. I typically get nearly all of the free liquid from the bucket. It doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in the amount of trub in my bottles or kegs, and I have more beer to show for it.

If it over carbonated just pour into a glass and the pour that glass in to another glass. If it's still over carbonated repeat. Over carbonation can be fixed in the glass, under carbonation can not.

If you are also worried about getting trub during racking you can always put a "condom" on the end of the tube to catch any solid pieces. I've tied on a nylon straining bag (sterilized) to the end of the siphon and it works fine. But I have noticed that the natural stirring you see from racking isn't noticeable; something to consider if you use that motion to evenly distribute the priming sugar.

I am feeling better about putting 5oz of dextrose in my bottling bucket that only had 4 gallons of beer due to something I just read. In the Joy of Homebrewing, Charlie says to put 6oz of corn sugar for 5 gallons of beer. If you adjust that ratio for 4 gallons that would be using 4.8oz for 4 gallons, so I am hoping the extra .2oz doesn't make much difference.

I tend to like beer on the lower end of carbonation so I will adjust the dextrose from my next batch if this one turns out too bubbly.

Back