pitch day bubbles then nothing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonster

Reaction score
So I pitched my yeast, Belgian andenes. Yeast and wort were about 65 degrees and within 3 hours the airlock is going crazy. Same time the next day its near dead. It was at about 72 degrees, its a Belgian stout, and then just dropped. It's now at 65 and not moving, even with a coat on. Thereafter no way this thing is finished. I just pitched it Sunday night. What do I do?

funny that you posted this as i am on here looking for an answer to the same exact thing! i pitched late evening yesterday. woke up this morning and it was going crazy and up into the airlock. I put the blow off tube on and went to work. Came home to find that everything is all silent and krausin had fallen back down. i put airlock all back on and i havent seen or heard anything since. i have heard that fermentation can still happen when there are no bubbles in the airlock, yet i have never experienced it. hopefully someone has an answer for both of us!

What kind of yeast did you use? Did you check the recommended temperature range for said yeast? Do you have hydrometer readings? That is really the only way to know if it's finished.

Airlock bubbles are NOT a sign of fermentation. I repeat, airlock bubbles are NOT a sign of fermentation. The only way to know if fermentation is complete is by taking a hydrometer or refractometer reading. Leave it alone for a couple of weeks. It will be fine.

Airlock bubbles are NOT a sign of fermentation. I repeat, airlock bubbles are NOT a sign of fermentation. The only way to know if fermentation is complete is by taking a hydrometer or refractometer reading. Leave it alone for a couple of weeks. It will be fine.

oh i know that is the case and this is exactly what i am doing. Its just weird as i have never had this happen before. heard stories, but never have experienced it.

Back