Macgyvering a Sour Crab Apple Ale. Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I usually harvest about 100 pounds of crab apples (wild apples about the size of a ping pong ball) from trees in my area. I'm wanting to try a sour beer that uses these crab apples. I think the tartness and strong apple flavor they have would complement a sour beer well.

I also want to try and do this on the cheap. I have a sack of Pilsner malt I have yet to dig into, 22 oz of flaked oats and a few pounds of various hops. I'm going to use dregs from a bottle of JP Luciernaga for souring purposes. I wanted to run my recipe by everyone and make sure that what I am making will be good. I have never made a sour beer with my own recipe. Just the Landers Fred recipe on here and a bunch of 1 gallon experiments.

The biggest thing is that I would like this to be ready by Spring 2013. Has anyone had experience with JP dregs? Would it be possible for a beer like this to have a 6-8 month turnaround? Also will dregs from one bottle be enough, or should I buy 1-2 more? Lastly is the crystal 20 necessary? I don't see a lot of crystal malt in other people's pale sours, but I want to give my microbial buddies something to chomp on.

Here is the recipe. It is for 4 gallons, I figure this and the crab apples in secondary will get me near the top of a 5 gallon carboy.

Pilsner - 6 lb (62%)
Flaked oats - 1 lb 6 oz (14%)
Wheat malt - 1.5 lb (18%)
Crystal 20 - 0.5 lb (5%)

Crab apples - 10 lb

Sterling hops (7% AAU) - 0.6 oz @ 90M

Est. OG - 1.056
Est. IBU - 18.3

Cut the crystal. No need.

Recipe is fine except you might want to dial the hops back to 8-10 IBUs to make sure it doesn't inhibit anything in the dregs. I haven't personally used JP dregs yet but everything I read suggests they are aggressive and work quickly. Somebody posted that JP ferments their beers dry before they hit the barrels so they only take 3-4 months to sour. That's something to think about with your own process. I would mash low and ferment with a higher attenuating strain if time is important. You don't need the bacteria to produce a lot of sourness since the crab apples will add tartness on their own.

Cut the crystal. No need.

Recipe is fine except you might want to dial the hops back to 8-10 IBUs to make sure it doesn't inhibit anything in the dregs. I haven't personally used JP dregs yet but everything I read suggests they are aggressive and work quickly. Somebody posted that JP ferments their beers dry before they hit the barrels so they only take 3-4 months to sour. That's something to think about with your own process. I would mash low and ferment with a higher attenuating strain if time is important. You don't need the bacteria to produce a lot of sourness since the crab apples will add tartness on their own.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to brew this today. I got rid of the crystal 20 and upped the wheat to 1.75 lb. I dropped the IBU to 12. I also decided to soak some French Oak in some homemade crab apple wine and I will add that in there as well.

I'm going to pitch the dregs with a pack of rehydrated Nottingham yeast. I'm hoping for 4 months in primary then 3 months racked onto the crabapples, but I'm not going to rush things to get an inferior product. If it takes longer, I'm fine with that.

Back